Rims vs. Hubcaps

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay...i need specific reasons, performance wise, why people switch to rims over stock hubcaps. if the rims are the same weight as the hubs...then why change? im not trying to start an arguement, i just want a clear answer so that i dont just go around saying rims are better and not know why

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
steelies are really narrow........ most, if not all, rims are wider.......... can't go wrong with a bigger contact patch

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so thats pretty much the only difference? what if i got some steelies off of another car that has stock wider wheels.

*im not going to do it, its a theoretical question

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i guess......... that's the most obvious thing i can think of..... i think steelies are kind of heavy too, rims would probably save some weight, but i dont know that for sure. oh, larger wheels have smaller sidewalls so they grip better and don't crumple........

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rims look sweet. That adds like 200hp right? No but steelies are heavier. Honda actually makes lighter steel wheels than most, but aftermarkets can still be almost half the weight. also going to a bigger rim will give you a stiffer sidewall to handle better.

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like both just depends on the car. Hub caps this ish if you got a body kit. :nod:

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "caddy"

Rims look sweet. That adds like 200hp right? No but steelies are heavier. Honda actually makes lighter steel wheels than most, but aftermarkets can still be almost half the weight. also going to a bigger rim will give you a stiffer sidewall to handle better.
Along with more rubber on the ground, thereby increasing traction.