Road Trip

jaymoren.no

Hey all!

I'm going on a road trip to California next month and I was wondering what I should look into/replace before heading out. I've had both CV Axles replaced a couple hundred miles back, both lower and upper ball joints, I also replaced my distributor that had gone bad on me. I'm due for an oil change but not sure if I should change my tranny fluid/coolant flush. It's a 5k round trip from Wisconsin & would not like to get stranded so far from home. Any advice as to what I should look into? Thanks in advance!

Btw, I'm driving a 1997 Honda Civic Ex D16y8 with 158k miles on the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaymoren.no

Any problems with the car? Any CEL codes or fluid leaks? Does the engine overheat?

Replace the plugs and plug wires?
The car runs fine, no funny noises. The car did throw a couple codes for the map sensor, a catalyst efficiency code & an idle code. The engine has never overheated on me in the 8k miles since I've driven it mostly highway. It's an auto.

jaymoren.no

I haven't gotten around to it since money has been kind of tight. Could the cat give me some problems if I don't fix it before? Map sensor is a cheap enough fix, along w the idle probably just need to clean out the IAC.

jaymoren.no

All three codes could potentially cause problems during a road trip. Fix them before you go, in addition to replacing the plugs and wires.

Post the actual OBD2 CEL codes. If you reset the ECU, do all three codes return?
It's been a while since I've checked the codes since I left my scanner at my parents place, but I do know for sure that the 0420 code comes back after driving around for a while, im not sure about the other codes. I'll check tomorrow when I get the scanner back. Or I'll look through my saved pictures and get back to you.

EDIT: Okay, the codes are P0420, P0505 & P0108.

jaymoren.no

P0420 --> Almost always a bad cat. The risk for a road trip is that the cat gets clogged (loss of power). To prevent a new cat from being destroyed, fix the CEL codes and replace the plugs and wires.

P0505 - Depending on the nature of the idle problem, a dirty IACV is the most common cause, though a faulty TPS or ECT sensor can also throw the code. Risk for road trip is a stalling problem.

P0108 - This indicates an electrical problem in the MAP sensor circuit. Is the MAP connector plugged in? Risk for road trip is a break down, leaving you stranded.
Alright I'll get it looked into, thank you. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.