RPM fluctuating from 300 to 1100 - Civic 1997 Ek3 (D15b)

leonardbd

Hi everyone,

I am having following issues with my Civic 1997 Ek3 (D15b engine) RPM
  • Issue 1: RPM fluctuate from 300 to 1100 when engaging A/T gear. On neutral it stable to 900. But when the car starts running more that 10 km speed, the fluctuation stops and rpm stay steady. I have changed the throttle body but didn't work.
  • Issue 2: After Engaging the AC or headlight the RPM falls a bit instead of increase and compensating the load.
  • Issue 3: Passengers smell Gasoline inside the cabin (rear seat) when I accelerate heavily. Fuel consumption increased. I have checked the fuel pump found ok. No Fuel licking from tank and near Fuel injectors. But can smell Gasoline from exhaust.
Please help me to find out the issue. I'm not an expert but I have some technical knowledge to check the issues.
Thanks

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Replaced throttle body including IACV?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Passengers smell Gasoline inside the cabin (rear seat) when I accelerate heavily. Fuel consumption increased. I have checked the fuel pump found ok. No Fuel licking from tank and near Fuel injectors. But can smell Gasoline from exhaust.
I'm going to guess you have an exhaust leak or fuel leak that you're not seeing/finding.

bendorf

I would try cleaning the IACV first.