Runnin Lean & A Lot More

TheLittleD

Hello Friends.
I have a 95 Civic Hatchback CX that I recently got. It seems the last owner manual swapped, and it has a d15b8 in it, which I'm guessing was in it before the manual swap. The computer seems to be the same with the r17 and r18 still with resistors. The car has CEL 19 and 41, so that's the auto lockout and the Primary oxygen sensor heater. The auto lockout is just taking out the resistors from the ECU (no big deal), but could the oxygen sensor itself be causing the car to run lean?

It reaks of gas when running especially accelerating in and out of the car. I checked two spark plugs, one has oil on it and the other looks normal. It seems to be in the right firing order. The car idles oddly, sometimes going up and down between 1k and 2k RPM, and sometimes starting at 2k RPM dropping down to 1, staying and sometimes going to 500. Even if it's warmed up it'll start at 2k and slowly drop or it'll do that 1k/2k back and forth RPM thing. The car runs and drives great and pretty much runs strong, has a great little engine that I want to be a gas saver. Has intake and exhaust.

Also, another issue, whenever I let off the gas it'll make this knocking sound that is really weird sounding like it's right under my feet and it'll barely make the car jump. When I shift gears and start to accel it'll knock too, but a different type.

I know these questions may have been answered before but I want to know what I should do before I start throwing money all over the place.
Side note: Car is just sitting on very loose coil sleeves that I can shake around, on the rear end there is no sleeve just a sitting coil on the strut. Just goes to show this car has been poorly maintained, and everything has been done wrong.

Last edited:

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Convert ECU to manual.
Check the motor/transmission mounts.
Clean the IACV and FITV.
Ohm test the O2 sensor.
Drive to top of Mauna Kea so your Civic can heal its broken spirit.
^Poetry... (teary eyed)

Sent from my boujea ass phone

TheLittleD

Convert ECU to manual.
Check the motor/transmission mounts.
Clean the IACV and FITV.
Ohm test the O2 sensor.
Drive to top of Mauna Kea so your Civic can heal its broken spirit.
Haha that last line killed me because my car couldn't make it even if it was running ok! Sorry for the super late reply, I saw it but just didn't want to log in just to say "OK". I really appreciate the tips and I finally had the time to check a lot of those...

BUT

I think the knocking is just due to the loose coilovers or the loose LCAs that are present or something along the lines. If not I'll check more things such as the motor mounts.

The big issue here is the O2 Sensor. I go to check the thing. Ok Good, the O2 sensor is plugged into the headers; wait, the plug is just hanging loose. The O2 sensor is the OEM one and the plug is not plugged into anything, nor is there anywhere to plug it in.:cussing: I looked everywhere, watched many videos... and yet there is not plug in from the harness present. It seems like it could have been torn out, and looks to be a big job if so. There's a random plug in floating coming from the harness, but that is not the O2 sensor one, I'm almost positive. Holy moly, here's some pics. The O2 sensor plug is circled green, the random plug is circled yellow in two pics, and the frayed wire from the harness is circled red.

Thanks so much for the help.