running on 2 cylinders?

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does anyone know how to trouble shoot a car running on 2 cylinders? I think its a distrubuter problem, but im not sure? any suggestions?

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
compression test. check distributor, wires, plugs. check fuel sys. any cels? what motor? mods?

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
race a bike see whos faster. If you win everythings ok, if you lose....everythings still ok.

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im getting CEL codes:

6 ECT - water temperature sensor
9 CYP - cylinder sensor
43 Fuel supply system

b2thao2thab

JDM EG6
5+ Year Member
start with a compression check, the tool can run you around 25 bucks at an auto parts store. do that first, before checking into anything else. no use in spending money on ignition of fuel system if you have low compression numbers..

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b2thao2thab said:
start with a compression check, the tool can run you around 25 bucks at an auto parts store. do that first, before checking into anything else. no use in spending money on ignition of fuel system if you have low compression numbers..
compression check was the first thing i did when i got the new head on.. there is 125-150 Psi of compression on each cylinder

b2thao2thab

JDM EG6
5+ Year Member
anything 150 is considered to be not very good compression!! but you should still get spark on any cylinder above 90 on compression... So your next step would be, look into the ignition stuff, when diagnosing a problem you always want to start at the end and work backwards, so what i would do is check your plugs first, make sure the gap is good and they are clean... then look at your wires, make sure you are getting spark at the end of the wire and make sure your wires are not shorting out or arching out before the plug end. then clean or replace cap and rotor if situation still persists. And after you have done all that the last think would be to check your coil and ICM. JDMLyfeStyle has a write up on how to test those units. It is on this forum somewhere!!! good luck to you. And you also might want to look up the stock compression ratings for your engine, because that sounds VERY LOW