Runnning rich

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok guys my fuel is running rich and i cant figure out why i checked my injectors i swapped out my plugs wires cap and rotor and still cant figure it out any other suggestions and no my CEL isnt on so my cat i know is fine

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
if you feed your cat and take it to the vet regularly it should be fine

how do you know youre running rich?

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my buddy said i was cause i have black dots all over my bumber from when i shift my exhaust pops and i thought it was just to much back pressure and i have my header comein in this week

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also when i accel hard i smell gas

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
have you done any maintenance, check your plugs or anything? CELs (does your light work)? Bad o2 sensor?

if your car modified in any way?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What mods do you have?

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just aftermarket catback exhaust and a kragen air filter on my stock intake pipe thats all yea the CEL works ive done the full changing in plugs wires cap and rotor like 2-3 weeks ago next step i guess to try is o2 sensor

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What exhaust and how big is the exhaust piping? You shouldn't be running anything bigger than 2.5" on N/A applications. Are you running a hi-flow cat by chance?

If your gas mileage is down the tubes too, it could[/b] be an o2 sensor. Though if you don't have a CEL, it may not be likely although a possibility.

reichbc

"Brandon"
shouldn't there be a cel code if the car is running rich?
Should be. Normally the o2 sensors pick it up and report a running-rich CEL.

Reset your ECU. Let the car rebuild its basemaps and it should correct itself.

Changing out hardware isn't going to solve a running rich issue. Too much fuel is a tuning issue.

roadie114

ok guys my fuel is running rich and i cant figure out why i checked my injectors i swapped out my plugs wires cap and rotor and still cant figure it out any other suggestions and no my CEL isnt on so my cat i know is fine
I have the exact same setup as you, and I have Flashpro installed with the stock tuned basemap (MAP). I get the black spots on my muffler, but not on the bumper at all. My AFM is right where it should be at 14.7 at idle, and around 12.7-13.4 under WOT. If you're only going by the spots on the bumper or are concerned you may want to get it checked, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it much. I have a cheap aftermarket catback with an added resonator, and a K&N drop in filter too.

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How do i reset my ecu im not mechanically inclined i can do some stuff but not alot and ill try the ecu reset first then get o2 sensor my piping is 2.5 with 4" out if i hook my si muffler to it would that help allso my headers i purchased are 2" outlet wich i havent installed yet

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the same problem. running rich, i can blow black clouds when i step on it. ive been trying to figure it out also, but no luck

reichbc

"Brandon"
How do i reset my ecu im not mechanically inclined i can do some stuff but not alot and ill try the ecu reset first then get o2 sensor my piping is 2.5 with 4" out if i hook my si muffler to it would that help allso my headers i purchased are 2" outlet wich i havent installed yet
1SIK, this one's for you, too.

To reset your ECU, there are a couple methods based on the different year of cars out there.

Use the user's manual to locate the fuse that the ECU runs through, and pull it for 5 minutes.

Disconnect both battery terminals for 5 minutes. If you have a sound system with a capacitor, disconnect that as well.

Personally, I just pull off the kick panel and pull all the plugs off of the ECU itself.

Keep in mind that after an ECU reset, it has to rebuild the basemaps and that will take a little bit of driving. 2 or 3 days of daily driving should do it, and i'm not talking a trip to the cornerstore a day. =) Most mechanics recommend 40-60 city miles.

Good luck!

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol i know i do, i got a problem somewhere. not worried about it, i still get 36-40mpg

tekfoc

5+ Year Member
Exhaust manifold is most likely cracked .
Remove heat shield look around oxygen sensor area of manifold for cracks .
Cracks will cause oxy sensor to read to high dew to cracks on manifold.