Sand, Body putty, Paint?

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really dont like the huge black trim on the doors and such of my gray 91' civic hb. I was thinking of painting it but when you paint the huge trim thats on the 88-91 it doesnt look as clean. I was thinking, I have to sand and use body putty on a few small spots on my car anyways. Could I just take the trim off and fill it with body putty, then sand and paint? I know that the trim is there for a reason (so doors, shopping carts etc dont hit it) but I could add a little trim like the 92+. How long do you think that would take me. And keep in mind I have a professional custom car body fixer/maker, and a professional car painter in the family. So Im sure if its hard work I can get it done. Would it be a good idea and make it look cleaner. Would it cost alot of money, and does anyone have any pics of a 88-91 with no or little trim.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've seen this done a bunch of times, and, in my opinion, it makes the side of the car look too blank...... as you know, without the trim you are more susceptible to door-dings and other funny stuff. problem is those dings will look more prominent on such a flat surface.............

if you do want to go ahead with this mod, it isn't very labor intensive. if you've already got people who know how to work with body panels, it becomes that much easier....... just pull off the trim (i believe they're just clipped into the body), and fill the area. sand it down and paint away.........

my old bodyshop could do this mod in a day (minus the paint, of course), so i'd suggest you set aside a weekend and just take your time.

crxtreme

CRX BOY
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi
I just finished shaving the side moldings on my 88 crx and you can not just fill it in man u have to weld a peice of metal all the way from one end of the door to the other b/c if u just use bondo it will crack and just fall out and always use fiberglass bondo to do fillings of large areas

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IMO, i like the shaved side moldings. it reminds me of the smoothness of the rsx, prelude, s2000, etc. but yeah, with that smooth of a surface, any little ding or imperfection in the work will be that much noticable. but i say go for it if you got the money and the hook ups to get it done

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya dude like Team4R said dont take the moldings off the side. I took the molding off the side of my door and now get f**king dents all the time cuz of peeps that hit my damn door. not a very good idea. Just keep the molding on 8)

crxtreme

CRX BOY
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes and No man like my car has a full kit and everything is shaved door moldings handels atenna rain gutters everything man its all about the place u park your car and it all depends if u want to walk lol

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya park your car far away and let it get jacked!!!!
Or just keep the molding on and avoid all problems =)

crxtreme

CRX BOY
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats why u buy a good alarm and wait a sec tho where do u live b/c in ontario we don't have to worry about that

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I live pretty close to L.A.
ya dude the only reason i say that is cuz my little hatch already has been jacked once. :cry:

BTW: welcome to the club.....got pics of your car?

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea amn i luv the CRX an my parents and family wont buy me an EG ahtch so im goin fo a 2nd gen CRX

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
y dont u do all that and iff u have money to burn get the type R side modongs off tornactive.com w/ a bit of modification it wud look tite