sedan 96-00 remove rear seat

cloudish

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how do i remove the rear seat from a 00 sedan without damaging them.
I've been looking for writeups, and there seems to be hard to get to bolts everywhere...
is the top portion suppost to come off first

i just want to remove them inorder to reduce the weight

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
umm the back seats arent very heavy, especially considering you'll only be able to get the cushion off the bottom part. Under the cushion, there is a metal peice that is shaped like the back seat so..

What you have to do is push the seatbelts back through the holes and pull from the crease of the seat.There are two metal, funny shaped things that go into the metal from the cushion. As far as bolts go I cant really remember whether there are any bolts you have to take off to get the bottom cushion off, but they should be easy to get to with a 10mm socket. For the top, I know for the two side parts (not the 60-40 split), there are two 10mm bolts that sit on top of little metal hanger type things at the bottom so that then you undo the bolt, they just pop off I believe. Im not really sure about the 60-40 split part, I havent gotten that far with taking my interior apart. Hope that helped.. Gimme a few seconds, i might be able to take a few pics with my phone..

also everything gets louder as you start removing things.. keep that in mind..

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
As far as weight goes, there really arent many things to take off to reduce weight on the inside of the cabin. My passenger seat gets taken out every now and then... not for weight reduction but to keep people from asking me for rides.. You can also get rid of your carpet but again, its not heavy at all, maybe a couple of lbs, but something to think about is the fact that the black stuff under the carpet gets hot, and then gets kinda gooey and s**t sticks to it every now and then. That and it instantly gets really loud and the ride isnt as comfortable w/o carpet so..

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your back seat weights in at a staggering 5 lbs dont be an idiot fast and furious follower and think its going to give you a faster car. the backseat weights nothing in weight reduction terms on a civic. like said before there isnt much you can take out to make it lighter. maybe try removing the a/c that will get you close to 50 lbs then go for the heater core that should get you close to another 20-40 lbs then go for your sound deadening material under your carpets that will get you close to 15-20 if you take it all out of your car. there isnt much your going to do to reduce weight on a civic. if your like me who has a 98 coupe dont go get it wieghhed it will disappoint you.my hx weights in at a staggering 2460 without me in it

surfer4life722

you can touch it...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah...just leave the seats on. There not hard to get off at all...but if you take them off, if you ever put themback on the seat belts are a b***h to get them back on through the holes...its a major pain. Plus when u take them out...your raddling noise will go up 300%

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its not so bad...

i love my car with out the rear seats...

Btw i cant really explain how to take them out of the car since im at school. Its really easy though.. Nothing is really hidden out of plain sight.

The top is too easy.. the bottom is... once you get all the bolts you can see out then pull up on the back of the bottom seat. It will come out

MugenShox

Banned
comes off in 2 pieces... 4 bolts (2 on each side) on the back part of the seat then i believe 2 more bolts on the bottom part... then there are 2 hook type deals on the bottom, but they are kinda tricky.. GL

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea, its not really worth it. Like said before, theyre actually quite light. After you get them out, you'll notice that its VERY noisy inside the car. You'll hear noises youve never heard before, and think your car isnt running right. I pulled mine out with plans of a system in place of the seats, but decided against it. Plus, you'll end up losing bolts or the spacers that are needed. I lost the 2 spacers and now the backs of the seats wiggle when they shouldnt. :lol:

nitebeest

5+ Year Member
My 98 civic ex coupe only ways 2350 with me in it. Hondas aren't incrediby heavy. Plus if your considering any power adder (turbo, etc.) you're going to have a tough time getting any traction if you start making the already light car even lighter.