Seeking advise for 6th Gen Si Purchase

SeatownTony

Hey guys - I’m going to look over a 99 civic Si tomorrow with a few issues. Price is beyond great but needs some work to restore the car back to its former glory.

Can you guys give me some ideas of important items to look over for this year? I’m a current Honda owner, I’ve owned EG’s in the past and currently own a 2018 Accord 2.0 but I’m out of my zone with this car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can compile a list while I’m walking around the car.

Currently the car runs but has a slight grind going into 5th. He replaced a CV axle and the unit fell out while driving for some time. He’s got no time and I’m sure funds to complete repairs so his loss is my gain.
I’ll check for originality of engine and transmission, tranny fluid loss, any oil leaks on the engine, ticking valve train, smoking exhaust, any electrical issues, etc. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but hoping the community can help out. I appreciate your response in advance.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Rear quarter shows damage and or paint, check for frame damage, a trans grind is expected for age, mileage and the beatin it took its whole life. If you have the time and funds to do a trans, bushings and brakes its back to a new car.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

SeatownTony

Rear quarter shows damage and or paint, check for frame damage, a trans grind is expected for age, mileage and the beatin it took its whole life. If you have the time and funds to do a trans, bushings and brakes its back to a new car.

Thanks for the response man!

I looked this car over in detail and passed on it. I was told trans issue and cv were the only issues but I went through it with a fine tooth comb and discovered the following:

Front end crash - Support is damaged
Replacement bumper supports broken
Passenger front brake caliper broken
Passenger front fender is damaged
Passenger door handle broken
Grill is broken and held by one screw
Passenger tail light is cracked
Motor mount isn’t bolted to engine (firewall)
Oil leaking from the head to the block/trans
No air filter?!?

The car was rough. Even at $1000 I’d be investing more money then it’s worth. If it was clean and straight with only the trans and cv I would have bought it for $1000. Looks like I’ll have to wait to be part of the club.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
For 1g its not bad if it was not smashed up like that, frame damage will always turn my head. Good job looking into it that deep and good pass.