Shaved valve cover- How to!!!!!!

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys just finished shaving the word Honda off the valve cover and it was fairly easy. im not sure if anybody has done this, or if i have done this properly but this is how i did it.

ok, so i started out with a stock valve cover, i scuffed it and cleaned it with brake clean to get all the dust and off then i just painted the valve cover with some engine primer. two light thin coats, then a third wet coat.

Then beofre i decided to shave the cover i painted it with a metallic paint, again two light coats and then a third wet coat.

So after i posted my other thread everyone said sand the letters to make it stand out. somebody said shave it completely. i have two of these so i said why the hell not. Got my grinder and set everything up!

I first used a 60 grit wheel to really get the heavy stuff off. i was very careful not to dig any holes. i set the grinder on an angle and went back and forth very carefully. Eventually you will see the letters slowly lower or start grinding away.

Now that the letters were almost completely down i used an orbital sander to smooth everything out, i used a 120 grit wheel then a 320 grit wheel. got everything smooth and this is what i ended up with!

And thats it! im gonna go with the same paint i used last time some engine primer and the metallic paint with clear effect. Hope this helps. Maybe Club Civic will send me a stencil so i can rep CC :shock:

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Looks much better, you should come up with a sick design (like that Optimus theme in your other thread)!

Can't wait to see it painted.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im gonna do the honda monster!!!!!!!!!! lol im not sure what that is yet but its gonna kick the s**t out of that peterbuilt or kenworth a*****e optimus lol

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay Dude wtf is in your garage? LOL... You got a TON of just odd s**t hanging all over! ha ha but hey those are the best garages.... Nice pic to go with the conversation, know who your talking to... ha ha... SO off the wall question, wtf is the bottle in your avitar? Is that some Boons farm wine? lol...

So VC topic... Glad you went from one thread to AHH f**k IT Im doing it lol... So I got a question, I was thinking about this earlier... there is a screw plug for the throttle cable between the oil fill and spark plug hole 4... Has anyone ever shaved that? Or any thought to do so? Maybe if you relocate the throttle cable or is it for that? I forget? Looks great man!

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay Dude wtf is in your garage? LOL... You got a TON of just odd s**t hanging all over! ha ha but hey those are the best garages.... Nice pic to go with the conversation, know who your talking to... ha ha... SO off the wall question, wtf is the bottle in your avitar? Is that some Boons farm wine? lol...

So VC topic... Glad you went from one thread to AHH f**k IT Im doing it lol... So I got a question, I was thinking about this earlier... there is a screw plug for the throttle cable between the oil fill and spark plug hole 4... Has anyone ever shaved that? Or any thought to do so? Maybe if you relocate the throttle cable or is it for that? I forget? Looks great man!
he's getting ready for the coming zombie attack

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats my basement man my Gpop has been collecting tools from god knows when. he has a vice down there so i went with the basement. i dont have a garage i wish i did : ( but he has everything you can think of down there. i found an OBD2 reader down there he didnt even know he had it lol. took that s**t.
the bottle is arbor mist, ran out of beer so i got mommoms arbor mist and im three stories up standing on the chimney singing. gotta love 4th of july. im not sure what you mean about the throttle cable mine goes to my intake manifold.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats my basement man my Gpop has been collecting tools from god knows when. he has a vice down there so i went with the basement. i dont have a garage i wish i did : ( but he has everything you can think of down there. i found an OBD2 reader down there he didnt even know he had it lol. took that s**t.
the bottle is arbor mist, ran out of beer so i got mommoms arbor mist and im three stories up standing on the chimney singing. gotta love 4th of july. im not sure what you mean about the throttle cable mine goes to my intake manifold.
LMAO that would of been my next guess is the gpa or someone having tools forever you can tell some of them are old as s**t but hey they do the job, just not always safe ha ha....

And yeah dude that is funny! 4th is always fun!

So Ill post a pic of what I mean in like 2 min...

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

WORST paint shop job ever! FTL lol... I shaved it for you ha ha... Where that jank ass spray paint in paint shop is ha ha... And I forget what thats for, havent had my SOHC for almost a yr so...

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im not sure i was thinking about shaving that but when i felt around under the cover there was a little indent. i think i pushed it doing that much on my own lol, and the best part is nobody important got hurt. haha. but i think that parts goes all the way through but i could be wrong. im just not going any further to find out.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've been thinking about doing this for awhile, just need to come up with a design. Good job :thumbup:

Aaron13

5+ Year Member
NIce! That looks good.
I think I'll give it a try when the weather is a little nicer. It's -30 C here today. :shock:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u can use filler on it if u went too deep.

i would also suggest going with atleast a 400 grit b4 painting..

looks good though..

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea no doubt I still have to prep it for paint it's just done being shaved. It's too damn cold to paint or do anything here. It's colder than a snow mans d**k.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks good now put some crazy graphic on that thing