Shifter clanging and vibrating in 4th gear??...

SiLvErCiV

I smell.....boost....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It just started happening like a week ago...my shifter rattles like a b***h in 4th gear alot, and occasionally in third...is it my tranny??..clutch??..i havent replaced either yet so i dont really know what i am hearing and where its coming from...someone help me out..thanks alot.

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:lol: I got a rattle in that same area, I think its in my exhaust hitting the shifter but unsure. I'm going to carry mine by a muffler shop and have them take a peek.

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's a heat shield over the exhaust pipe that right under the end of the shifter where it connects to the rod. If somehow this shield got bent upwards, it could easily bang into the shifter (since there's only like 1" of clearance to begin with). Maybe check that?

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good point chimchim,,,,,, I gotta check that too...... That would sound about right for the rattle I have.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Who many miles are on your car? There are to small bushings on either side of the shifter at the bottom. They may have dry rotted or the grease may have worn out and the bushings have eroded from use over time. Check those bushings.

flipmoderacer02

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
more than likely it is the heatshield hitting the shifter...also, check the bushings on the shifter.

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
flipmoderacer02 said:
more than likely it is the heatshield hitting the shifter...also, check the bushings on the shifter.

The one I got is a new short shifter and new bushings....... What about the rubber things on each side of the shifter? or is that what your talking about?

SiLvErCiV

I smell.....boost....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn....this is why i love this board...haha i gain knowledge everyday..ill check that out..thanks for the help guys.. =)

kittles3069

RSX in Motion!!!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man i had the same thing when i first got my civic and brought it to my dealer they charged my like $50 and said the heat shield was loose and need to be resecured...

3months later i installed my DC Sports exhaust and found my rusty ass heat shield Zip tied to the body...???

DOUH!!!

SiLvErCiV

I smell.....boost....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LOL....no way man...sounds like your dealership handles things with care.. :D

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Noeladams said:
The one I got is a new short shifter and new bushings....... What about the rubber things on each side of the shifter? or is that what your talking about?
Yes thats what I am talking about. Hopefully you put enough grease on the bushings also otherwise if you overtightened you can rip/tear the small ( o ring looking ) bushings.

2000SIR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It could be that your shift rod is bent I had the same problem with mine after it was replaced was cured