Shopping for new motor

caperton12885

I got an 01 civic lx with about 270000 miles had a couple bent valves so I got the head redone and new head gasket. Appears cheap head gasket failed again and I'm tired of nickling and dimeing myself to death with it and found a used d17a 1.7l vtec motor for a good price. Would there be any issues with swapping them out. I currently am not running a vtec. Wasn't sure about the ecm or anything else that would cause issues. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

caperton12885

I honestly didn't bother checking bc I didn't want to spend any more time or money replacing anything or fixing anything and take out of the funds for a new motor.

caperton12885

The head was good when it came from the shop. I didn't think to check the block when I reinstalled the head.

caperton12885

If I said a definitive yes I'd be lieing. It was a shop that only deals in rebuilding heads so I hate to assume but I couldn't imagine them not making sure it was true

caperton12885

I spent about 60 on a gasket set and about 250 on getting the head redone. Plus various other somewhat minor in comparison expenses

caperton12885

Ok. Thanks for all the help I reckon I'll take another crack at it. Atleast with the second go around I'll have a better idea about everything. It's been a frustrating couple months

caperton12885

I hate to say it but the temp gauge did peg out a couple times. I tried not to let it but it would run right for a while fan kick on temp stay right than next thing it will overheat.

caperton12885

That's what I've been weighing my options weather or not it's worth fixing being the rest of the car is old but I also don't want a car payment. The thing is that d17a vtech that comes from a reputable place is cheaper than a d17a1 that s in it now. This is the best one I can find without breaking the bank.

caperton12885

It's compatible with my car according to there system that you enter the car info in

caperton12885

My county doesn't worry about it. As long as you have a seat belt and lights they don't worry about anything else.

caperton12885

I had a feeling that would be the case. I'll have to figure out if finding a true match is cheaper or that vtec with the additional components. Do you know of any good places that sell motors? I'm leery about trying to find one at a junk yard or pull a part place as you have no idea what you're getting.