Shot peening

kyral

5+ Year Member
2 questions

1. Will shot peening a part cause its dimensions to change?

and

2. Do aftermarket honda parts even need to be shot peened?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive only heard of people shot peeking rods. I had my ls rods shot peened. They said it'd be stronger than type r ones

Cobl18

Registered VIP
sounds stupid but what is shot peening?is that the process where they dip the parts in molton salt at like 20,000 degrees and it makes it stronger?

kyral

5+ Year Member
no its where they shoot small beads at a part

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how much of an advantage is this? how much worse than forged? havent looked into this much

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shot peening increases the compressive residual stress of the part. the end result is an increase in fatigue life.
forging is a hot process that is done during the molding of the part, while shot peening is a cold process that is done after the part is molded

whether or not shot peening will effect part dimensions really depends on a bunch of different factors, such as the material, hardness, type of shot peening, etc.

Trekk

Registered VIP
basically they shoot little balls of metal or whatever at the part, the impacts compress the metal and make the part stronger. Something thats been around a longtime, been done to cars ect ect.

The question is what are you going to do to the car? Higher end rods should be fine unless you have some huge HP goals. If you plan to rev the piss out of the motor you should really have the rods balanced.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The guy charged me $20 a rod. But I'm sure the prices differ...

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Yeah I want to get my cam gear shot peened so maybe it won't blow into a million pieces and break like the last one I had :D

kyral

5+ Year Member
Shot peening probably wont help your cam gears ive never heard of anyone shot peening a cam gear

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
before you start shot peening things i think maybe you should look into the root cause of why your cam gear exploded...

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Yes yes if you look at my build thread I'm on it. If I can't get it running I'm parting it out and my buddy has a 2002 accord for 1500 bucks.