Slide pin issue (update with video)

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Was servicing my brakes. The driver's side top slide pin was seized.

Removed it and replaced the rubber bushing at the end but it wouldn't go into the bracket. Even when trying to reuse the old bushing. It didn't look swollen either.

It only fits without the rubber bushing at the end. Do I need it? Installed without it now as I had to drive my car. Would the bracket be bad or? So confusing

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you try to grease its surface so it would slide in?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes and I think that's why it was seized in place originally. It wasn't swollen up or anything. Looked identical to the replacement

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Btw my brakes were making a noise at low speeds and that's why I decided to inspect them.

Now without that bushing on the slide pin the noise is gone as its allowed to move. But curious how crucial it is

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok so I managed to get it in with the rubber bushing at the end it required a little push. But now it retracts a fair amount. Is that normal?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks good to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool. Wasn't sure because the bottom one didn't retract as much.

What's a good grease for the slide pins? Usually use silicone but didn't have any and opted for dielectric grease

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Idk about what's the best but permatex makes a brake parts grease in a little tube that's what I've always grabbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk