Slow 92 CX Build

Locruid

Slow 92 CX Build

Welcome to my SLOW build. I'm usually laid off in the summer so money is pretty tight but after Sept I can start throwing money here and there on it. Anyways without Further ado a little History:

This was my Baby:

A 1995 Z28. Had 106,000 miles when I bought her in 2010. They only made 986 Cameros in that color over a 2 year period. Wife blew up the Head Gasket in 2011 so I added a few parts. Stock put out 240 rwhp. After I was done she was putting out 353 rwhp. She was an Auto with 3.23 rears and Posi. Well long story short, I started losing Oil pressure one day. Found some brass crap in my oil. Pretty sure I blew a cam bearing and I didn't have the heart to tear it apart again. Not only that but Gas was getting expensive and doing 102 in 2nd was gonna get me in a lot of trouble (or someone killed). So I straight traded for:

Not much to say. It was a 1996 Hardbody. Nice little rig but had a Counter Bearing going out. Would have kept it but it only seated 3 tightly and I have a family of 5 so didn't want to have to rely on the wife's Durango all the time. Traded it with a little cash for my other dream rig:

Got a GREAT deal on it. Even had a WARN winch. Added a few things here and there and it really was a great rig. Unfortunately, I got transferred to another facility (old one was closing and I was given the option) and my Commute increased quite a bit. Doing 34 mile round trips in a Vehicle that gets about 15 mpg really puts a damper on things lol.

Anyways my neighbor has always been a Honda fan. He has an 88 with a minime built and the car itself has over 350k on the body. We talked a lot and he introduced me to his Dream Car: A 92-95 Civic HB. And of course the first thing I notice is the little door that most others do NOT have. We've talked a bit over the years about both our cars and I was always amazed at the gas mileage he got before the minime and the power/MPG after the Minime. Well I decided to TRADE across for a 92-95 Honda Civic HB. I'd take a little hit but not a really big one as 5th gear in the Jeep was giving me issues and the transmission needed an Overhaul. Not to mention the gas mpg was KILLING ME. SO I found one:

This was the day I got it. It's a 1992 CX Model ALL ORIGINAL and CLEAN Title. 148k on the odometer. It's a little rough but hey....it's a CLEAN title Honda LOL. As I stated there's not much I can do in the Summer but I have plans for it:

Friend GAVE me a Stereo (crappy) and a pair of 6x9 Speakers. It works pretty good for now.
Same friend is giving me a D15B7 Head/Intake/Tri Y Header
A different Friend is giving me his D16Y7 minime that needs rebuilding

Future Plans:

Turbo D16Y8 minime
New Wheels LOL
Redo Interior
EX/SI Transmission
Fix the minor Dings and Dents
Repaint

Sometimes I miss my Camaro and my Jeep but when I go to the Gas Station and fill up for about $27 remembering it took $55-$70 for the other rigs all my doubts are erased lol. I'll be honest though I REALLY want an SI version. We have some money coming in at the end of the year and when it gets here, I might decide to just look for an SI instead and pass this car on to one of my kids. Yes I want the moonroof, Cruise, A/C, etc =) I'm getting older and missing the nice accessories :p. Anyways thanks for staying through all the boring stuff and I'll keep what I can posted!

Last edited:

Locruid

Painted the Wheels. Couldn't stand the Steelie color.

Yes I added the Tach. Had that Sunpro lying around for over a year. Where it;s mounted it's NOT in the way of ANY view. Kinda like it =)

For now. I think I'll extend the Wood as it's not ALL the way to the end. I'd rather replace it with the actual piece and mount the 6x9 elsewhere. or just re-do the Entire system (I Plan on a Kenwood Bluetooth with a 500+ watt System)

Completely stock D15B8......for now.....

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How are you planning a D16Y7 minime, are you keeping the D15 block and putting a Y7 head on it? Are you getting a Y7 block and putting a Y8 head on it? If it's the second option, I'd just find a healthy pulled Y8 to begin with.

I'd swap in a cluster with a tach and get rid of the gauge sitting there in my face. Unless you prefer it.

My highschool GF drove one of these exact cars, I couldn't stand the blue interior :lol:

Locruid

How are you planning a D16Y7 minime, are you keeping the D15 block and putting a Y7 head on it? Are you getting a Y7 block and putting a Y8 head on it? If it's the second option, I'd just find a healthy pulled Y8 to begin with.

The Y7 my friend is giving me is a D16Y8 head already. It was his first rebuild and he didn't set the rings properly and it dropped #3. Whether I pull one or use his I plan on rebuilding in either case so I know it's done right AND it would be a fresh motor. His is free which is already a plus in my book.

I'd swap in a cluster with a tach and get rid of the gauge sitting there in my face. Unless you prefer it.
Yea I plan on getting the Dash with the tach at some point. Just for now until I get back to work, this will have to do =) I dont think it's THAT bad lol. Heres a pic from my viewpoint:

But I'd still rather have the proper Gauge Cluster with a tach

My highschool GF drove one of these exact cars, I couldn't stand the blue interior :lol:
My wife's favorite color is blue. Been married 18 years and as long as she's happy....I'm happy :D

Thanks for the Response!

Last edited:

Locruid

Upon reflection:

I know I can put the Y8 head on my B7 and come out close to the same HP. But I've been told numerous times to just use the D16 block if I go Turbo. So I figured I'd just keep the B7 in there and slowly work on the Y7. And once it was done I could drop the Y7 in then rebuild the B7 motor and find a chepo car that has a blown motor for one of my twins turning 16 soonish and drop the B7 into that car. I have plenty of time just not a lot of "instant cash" =)

Locruid

Ok got a good deal on some parts.

Rebuild B7 heads run about $100 on Craigslist in my area. Auto Trans used run about $300. P06 ECUs run about $60.

So tomorrow I'm picking up a COMPLETE (even the wire harness) D15B7 with a spun bearing. Still runs but does have a spun bearing. Auto Transmission, P06 ECU, 2 axles, Shifter, 4 used in good condition Engine mounts, and Misc stuff for.......

$120.

I'll strip the Head/O2 sensor/Intake off of it disassemble and store what I don't need right now and sell the trans for cost of parts/gas and a little profit. I pick it all up tomorrow.

The I'll get the head checked and cleaned and put my "B7" together.

As I wrote this my friend called and said his mother 's Honda has could use the transmission. He said he'll cover my gas and buy it all but he just wants the transmission. I'm good with that :D

Locruid

Got Everything Home. Dis-assembled it all. Block looks good and the crank looks good but will have them checked out. The Head goes in next week.

On a side note and I'm just saying this to pretty much Immortalize the story:

We lost our 10 yr old Dog tonight. At 3am she started seizures (has been treated for last 3 years) and she went throughout the day having more. we made the Hard decision tonight to ease her pain.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry for your loss bud. For dogs 10 years is a long life. I know they can't grow old enough though..

Locruid

It's been awhile lol.

Work got really busy

Didn't get around to putting the head in until last week. Gonna pick it up this Fri....$80 for inspection, grinding. Ya know when I did my Maro heads last year it was $120 for both and each one was twice the length!!!!!!!

Anywho. Playing catchup on bills so can't get a gasket kit until next month. But as things go looking about mid October and I'll swap in the parts.

Locruid

Hey all it's mid OCTOBER and as promised I'm back.

Bought some wheels couple weeks ago for $80 for all. A couple needed tires but going from the factory 13 to 195/60/14 made a HUGE differance.

Haven't decided to keep them white or paint them black (Plasti-dip).

Last week a good friend (who owns a 2000 EX) stopped by. Last year he swapped in a GSR motor with a LS Transmission. So anyways, I was mentioning to him that my next effort after the B7 swap would be to get a SI Transmission. He looked at me funny and said "You do know my Y8 and Trans is still in the garage" I was like "yea, why" and he said "EX and SI same transmission." Just to be sure I looked up the ratios and damned if he isnt right. A little more research and they use the same clutch/throwout bearing/pressure plate. Little more research and yup it'll work just fine. So I asked him how much for the transmission. He said just give me your CX transmission so I have something to mate to the Y8 and throw them in a beater car and we'll call it good.

So today....after a long long wait....ALL my parts are here, all the oil is ready, and after today my factory stock d15B8 will be a D15B7 with "Si" transmission swap.

Locruid

Got everything installed.

Temp ran normal, nothing leaks/smoking, and no CEL Light.

Idle is loping 700-1200. Pretty sure the FITV needs cleaning. My firend had the SAME exact issue on his and he cleaned his FITV and everything ran great afterwards so gonna give that a shot tomorrow along with re-torquing the head bolts.

Can't wait for the first drive lol

Locruid

Cleaned the IAC and seemed to help the loping. Instead of 750-1250 its now about 750-950. Guess I'm going to have to order a new IAC. Runs GREAT though.

Dunno which helped more the extra 30ish hp or the transmission lol.

EXTREMELY Happy with the results.

Locruid

2nd Week:

Still messing with the IAC. Will order one this Friday

Miss my old gas mileage lol. Almost to half a tank and have gone about 160 miles. Before I'd be at 200 :( Ah well, it's SOOO nice to climb hills in 5th instead of 3rd :P

I did notice if I floor it, about 4000 rpm it seems to "taper off". I mean not as much oomph. I pretty sure at this point it's not getting exhaust out as fast as it can so just ordered a complete CatBack System and it should be here by Thurs. Up until about 3500-4000 it really picks up but like I said seems to loose some oomph past that and gets worse at higher rpm. Either the IAC is having issues with no Cel or just not getting it out fast enough (still have the CX muffler/exhaust which I was told is a bit smaller than the DX).

Will post results later

Locruid

Got my Catback in. Put on the "Muffler" part then noticed the rest of the piping was a little short AND was a 3 hole fitting instead of a 2. Then it occurred to me. I ordered a D15B7 Catback.....but my car was originally a d15B8 so the cat was in front of the motor instead of under the car lol. Ordered a New Cat (old one was gone as a friend gave me a Tri-Y Header). So I'll be able to completely install the rest of the piping Fri. Meanwhile, the top end got a LOT more meaner and the bottom end even picked up a little bit. Couldn't believe the size of the muffler that came off...think the ones on a Semi-Truck are smaller :P

Bought a new IAC today. It fixed my Running Rich issue by far and the throttle definitely responds a lot better but my idle is still loping 700-1200. Gonna try cleaning the FITV again and if that doesn't cure it, I'll just bypass it until I can buy a new one.

MIleage did drop from an Ave of 37.8 to about 34 mpg. Gonna fill up tomorrow and check the mileage again but I was running rich this week and did get on it a few times =) My guess-to-meter thinks I'm pushing 31-32 right now.

WIll post more later, but man this thing freakin moves with this EX transmission lol

Locruid

Got the rest of my piping on. Sound definitely got louder and better pick up after 4k rpm. Re-cleaned the FITV to no avail. Looks like I'm gonna have to order a new one or block that one off for now. My mileage this time was 32.8 but I did get on it a few times.

Next on the list: Replace the front right fender, order new Hatch lifts, and new taillights. Then a SI Gauge Cluster and Driving Lights (the ones that fit right in the holes in the bumper). Finish it up with replacing the stereo with a Kenwood Bluetooth, add a Bass tube and Amp tot he 6x9s. Then re-upholster the front seats and I think my car will be done....for now LOL. I've learned quite a bit since I first started posting things. I'm not going to re build my friend's D16Y8. I'm either just going to finish what I've stated this posting or if my money gets in sooner, I'll just get a SI version of this car. But in either case, I'm not gonna do anything radical. I'm happy with what I got now and If I'm gonna do a complete motor swap, I'll drop in a Turbo B18 motor instead.

Locruid

So my Throttle Body has been sticking. Only does it if it sits for awhile. "Pop" it once and its fine for a bit. Cleaned the HELL out of it and even got some REALLY fine sandpaper to "dust" the inside near the butterfly. NOTHING seems to work. I've dumped about 2 cans of Throttle body cleaner and even used PBlaster on all moving areas then Silicone spray. STILL sticks on initial start. I know its the TB and I take it off and manually opening the butterflies I can feel it stick a bit. Friend gave me another TB. Put my MAP sensor on it. It doesn't stick but holy hell theres something wrong lol. It lopes REALLY bad. Worse than the one I have now. Cold/Hot doesnt matter and if I slowly press the throttle the loping gets louder and I can hear air being sucked in but doesn't otherwise change anything. If I hit the gas quick then it responds. but still lopes from 1k-2500 (my older on just does it from 750-1100).

Anyways switched back to the older one. If anyone has a clue on the sticking thing lemme know PLEASE.

Locruid

It's been awhile...

Driver window shattered halfway to work in 18 degree weather....still had 8-10 miles to go at 60 mph lol. Little nippy.

Head Gasket gave out last week. Ordered a rebuild kit, MLS Head gasket and new head bolts. Getting the head re-checked and the block dipped, cleaned, and checked out.

Will post more as the month progresses.

The car, however is TONS of fun to drive with the EX Transmission. Went from getting my ass stomped by my wife's Durango to stomping hers now lol