smart phone advice-verizon rant

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The env2 looks like a ugly calculator...

But ye the first env or the env2 is basically what im looking for. As well as the Samsung SCH-u740. I thought a blackberry similar phone is what i want. But in all reality after thinking about it. All i want is a phone i can put music on, has a camera, a keyboard that i can buy and put onto my same plan without getting the DATA bullshit

are their any other similar phones to those 3 by verizon...give me more to add to my list
ive got the SCH-u740. its pretty bomb, it works either way (full QWERTY one way, regular pad the other) and it can sned/recieve pic and video messages, plays music (with an SD card), and has a camera. the only thing is that you need a data plan for the pic/video messaging or they charge you a certain amount per text. overall, i really like the phone tho, although im going to get rid of it and get a smart phone with my next update. if i didnt do that id definitley stay with this phone till i broke it or it became super outdated or something.

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive got the SCH-u740. its pretty bomb, it works either way (full QWERTY one way, regular pad the other) and it can sned/recieve pic and video messages, plays music (with an SD card), and has a camera. the only thing is that you need a data plan for the pic/video messaging or they charge you a certain amount per text. overall, i really like the phone tho, although im going to get rid of it and get a smart phone with my next update. if i didnt do that id definitley stay with this phone till i broke it or it became super outdated or something.
You mean a txt plan? I have that I have unlimited txting. That phone is a nice phone just seems flimsy as to the only thing i see wrong with it. But it def wont keep me from buying it. Plus the phone isnt a smartphone or a pocketPC so i doubt that txting on that phone works any different then the txting on my current phone LG vx8300

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OKAY,

I can help out, I have a Moto Q for my work phone for my job, but the service is through Sprint. Anyhow, I love the phone's interface, functionality, etc... It has everything I could ever want from a phone.

ONE IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW!!!!!

Although the phone is great, it is prone to problem that causes the phone to "brick" and become useless. I am on my 5th Moto Q in about 1.5 years. I am not abusive with my phone in anyway (one of the phone replacements was due to me spilling Beer on it at a Rockies Game), but 4 out of 5 of the replacements of it were due to it "bricking" itself. Google it. Try (Moto Q Bootloader brick). It is a known issue with these phones. The phone will just display a bootloader screen and there is no possible way to fix it yourself. You have to send it to Motorola. I suggest you get insurance or one with a warranty because this is a serious issue. Out of 50 phones my company has for our employees we had to replace 20-25 due to this. Some people more than others!!

In my opinion: Moto Q is great for a work phone when it goes bad having it get easily replaced. I would never buy one as a personal phone.

I hope this helps

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OKAY,

I can help out, I have a Moto Q for my work phone for my job, but the service is through Sprint. Anyhow, I love the phone's interface, functionality, etc... It has everything I could ever want from a phone.

ONE IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW!!!!!

Although the phone is great, it is prone to problem that causes the phone to "brick" and become useless. I am on my 5th Moto Q in about 1.5 years. I am not abusive with my phone in anyway (one of the phone replacements was due to me spilling Beer on it at a Rockies Game), but 4 out of 5 of the replacements of it were due to it "bricking" itself. Google it. Try (Moto Q Bootloader brick). It is a known issue with these phones. The phone will just display a bootloader screen and there is no possible way to fix it yourself. You have to send it to Motorola. I suggest you get insurance or one with a warranty because this is a serious issue. Out of 50 phones my company has for our employees we had to replace 20-25 due to this. Some people more than others!!

In my opinion: Moto Q is great for a work phone when it goes bad having it get easily replaced. I would never buy one as a personal phone.

I hope this helps
yep that helps a lot.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yep that helps a lot.
I mean, I don't know if the Verizon one is different, but I would seriously lean toward getting the Moto Q 9c if Motorola makes one for Verizon (it also has Mobile 6 on it). From what I understand, Motorola corrected this fatal glitch with the phone in 9c.

I really like the phone and layout and everything, it's just that HUGE problem with it. It is an awesome size, endless possibilities and configuration, but if it is prone to bricking then what good is it you know>?

Some people at my job are still on their original phones and haven't had a problem and some people like me have gone through many!! One guy is on his 7th!! All had to be resent back to Sprint and we recieved a replacement.

The only trend I found with the "bricking" is the one's that bricked more than others were often loaded with more software than the stock stuff. This is just a guess on my part. I'm in the IT department in my company if this helps too. We are responsible for maintaining these phones for the whole company

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I mean, I don't know if the Verizon one is different, but I would seriously lean toward getting the Moto Q 9c if Motorola makes one for Verizon (it also has Mobile 6 on it). From what I understand, Motorola corrected this fatal glitch with the phone in 9c.

I really like the phone and layout and everything, it's just that HUGE problem with it. It is an awesome size, endless possibilities and configuration, but if it is prone to bricking then what good is it you know>?

Some people at my job are still on their original phones and haven't had a problem and some people like me have gone through many!! One guy is on his 7th!! All had to be resent back to Sprint and we recieved a replacement.

The only trend I found with the "bricking" is the one's that bricked more than others were often loaded with more software than the stock stuff. This is just a guess on my part. I'm in the IT department in my company if this helps too. We are responsible for maintaining these phones for the whole company
Im majoring in IT so i can relate. But good info. Yet if i get the phone im still wondering if i can get it without the data package FOR NOW. And use it on my plan AS IS for now. And not be charged for txting from them becuase i have unlimited txt. Im still just trying to verify the confusion that if i have unlimited txt why would verizon tell me id need to pay a fraction of a cent per txt. or some shti. Doesnt make sense if i have unlimited txt. Anyways I emailed verizon..

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont understand really.. i already told you what phone fits your needs best... but you dont think it looks cool enough... thats ridiculous to me.. "yeah the phone you recomended will work really well but im going to keep looking because i think it looks ugly" dood ITS A f**king PHONE? i dont get this and deal with it all the time at work.. do you not buy a tv becuase the remote control is ugly?

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh, I forgot to mention. While on the lookout for a personal cellular phone, I decided to go with T-mobile and got a Blackberry Curve. It was the best deal I could find for my needs. Smartphones are not all that bad if you can truly justify them. You have to be wise with purchases and go against your emotion. Before making an impulse buy, sleep on it. While on your "rest", truly ask yourself if it is a need or a want.

I am in a position where Data is a necessity for my business. I need a cell phone + any additional features such as txting and e-mail/web have to be truly justified. If you buy phones to impress the "Jones's" then you will live your whole life poor chasing that next big raise.

f**k what everyone thinks. If an old school Brick Nokia gets the job done then roll with it.

I drive an old ass 90 Honda Civic HB with primer sprayed on all the rusted parts and Bitches probably think I'm a broke-ass-scrub. Who cares, wouldn't want someone who judges me by my car anyway. I wouldn't be impressed with myself driving a 50,000 dollar car with a 5 year loan using 90% of my checks to pay for it.

My point is, we all want nice things. But once you buy that bad ass new cell phone. There will be another nicer one with more features coming out tomorrow. You will never have the latest and greatest so why buy more than you need.?
:cool::word:

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh, I forgot to mention. While on the lookout for a personal cellular phone, I decided to go with T-mobile and got a Blackberry Curve. It was the best deal I could find for my needs. Smartphones are not all that bad if you can truly justify them. You have to be wise with purchases and go against your emotion. Before making an impulse buy, sleep on it. While on your "rest", truly ask yourself if it is a need or a want.

I am in a position where Data is a necessity for my business. I need a cell phone + any additional features such as txting and e-mail/web have to be truly justified. If you buy phones to impress the "Jones's" then you will live your whole life poor chasing that next big raise.

f**k what everyone thinks. If an old school Brick Nokia gets the job done then roll with it.

I drive an old ass 90 Honda Civic HB with primer sprayed on all the rusted parts and Bitches probably think I'm a broke-ass-scrub. Who cares, wouldn't want someone who judges me by my car anyway. I wouldn't be impressed with myself driving a 50,000 dollar car with a 5 year loan using 90% of my checks to pay for it.

My point is, we all want nice things. But once you buy that bad ass new cell phone. There will be another nicer one with more features coming out tomorrow. You will never have the latest and greatest so why buy more than you need.?
:cool::word:
Very good words. Ye see Ima tech guy im majoring in IT just love devices and so on. So i mean i loved the iphone. Its the only apple product I like . I hate apple (here comes a flame war lol). But I'm not willing to terminate my service that currently I dont pay a penny for just to get a new plan with At&t and pay an arm and a leg for the new or old Iphone. I rather just stay with what I have which is the main purpose. I want to get a phone and stay with the current plan settings i have now without the need to upgrade. I know their will always be another phone nicer with more features then the phone i thought would be "hip". Yet I do want something better then my current flip phone which is a LG VX8300. I mean if I get a new phone that phone will not go to waist. Im not saying its a bad phone I just want something with more features. That phone as i said id give to my grandpa to replace his old one that he cant upgrade becuase of me entering the plan and wanting his old number with the new cell at the time. Meaning he got the new cell # making him need to wait to upgrade. Yet he has like a 5 year old POS phone.

Anyways I may not need to full business extent of a smartphone. Thats why right now im just looking for a phone with several features. And right now not be locked down to get a data plan with it. But maybe in the future. Plus I emailed verizon to sort out if that fraction of a cent s**t was remotely true becuase the obvious logic is unlimited txt means unlimited txt to any network period. No paying for data or other bs to transfer. I already pay for that in the txt plan.

I did think what I really want a phone for. I kinda want something that I personally would like and once i go onto the job market/get a job it could also be helpful when that time comes. But for now all I want is:

Keyboard would be great for txting
music capability
games/tv-but all that really isn't too important
direct connects via usb/memory card to computer to transfer s**t to it
typing software. Im one of the people who gets an idea and if they don't write it down they would forget. Now that could be lets say a paragraph or so for a paper i need to write or what ever. But like a thing to type s**t like Microsoft word would be bad ass.
obviously use for calling

But on the same aspect after really thinking about it. My current phone is decent. I think i could put music on it. All ill need to do is get a miniSD card with the adapter to SD. My laptop takes SD cards. So maybe just push it in and put music on the SD card and call it a day. But this current phone doesn't really have music player.

Now as for the env2 being ugly. Dude I went to the verizon store they said not too many people are buying the new Env because of being turned off by its appearance. So calling me out saying who the f**k cares about the looks becuase its a f**ken phone. Well Mr. Intelligent seems like I'm a typical consumer becuase other people have been turned off by it too. I am not saying its a bad phone at all. All im saying is if i decide to go with a Env it would be the first gen not the current second gen. Is that wrong to like the older version? I think not.

can any owners of the Samsung SCH-u740/ Samsung Alias verify that if i get this phone my unlimited txt plan should be suficient and i wouldnt need to be charged per txt/pic
Unless he ment txt plan. Because that phone just seems to be a regular phone just have a keyboard. And can yall users of this phone verify if you think the numbers/letters are too small or because of the 2 way opening hing on this phone it makes it very fragile.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My advice too is stay away from touch screen phones. OC is right that they are not as reliable. I honestly really wanted the Env2, but Verizon charges an arm and a leg. The env2 is a great reliable and solid phone. I was very impressed with it while playing with it. They only thing I didn't like was there wasn't an option to check a POP e-mail account from what I could see and the space bar location through me off a bit. Of course, I'm sure the space bar thing would take a bit getting used to.

I love QWERTY keyboards. they are a must for e-mail and txting. :word:

Like the other thread stated. TouchScreens are just "balla status" and not actually all the efficient. They aren't nearly reliable as you would think, plus they are more prone to failure.

Old Man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cant speak to the other phones
but the touchscreen on the Dare is quick and responsive.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now as for the env2 being ugly. Dude I went to the verizon store they said not too many people are buying the new Env because of being turned off by its appearance. So calling me out saying who the f**k cares about the looks becuase its a f**ken phone. Well Mr. Intelligent seems like I'm a typical consumer becuase other people have been turned off by it too. I am not saying its a bad phone at all. All im saying is if i decide to go with a Env it would be the first gen not the current second gen. Is that wrong to like the older version? I think not.
you are right you are just like the typical consumer.. ;)

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anyways before i made this thread I emailed verizon just to verify what the verizon store told me..

anyways so now i think im debating these phones:

This is like a pre env phone..like the model before that didn't get the name env
vx9800

Just seems to be a thicker env with a weaker camera..instead of 2mp its 1.3mp

and yall should know what the env looks like

samsung u-740 or the newer one samsung alias..which basically is identical just the number buttons are easier to spot.

samsung u-740

Samsung Alias

Now as said I did email verizon this is what they said

In regards to the 6700 PDA phone being a good phone, all of our phones are tested with the network to ensure quality of service and we stand behind every phone we offer to our customers. It has lots of features that may be good for you depending on you specific needs.

Mr. ...., if you choose to activate a Blackberry phone on your account you are required to purchase a monthly data (for email/internet browsing) plan for $24.99, $29.99, or $44.99 depending on your needs. If you activate a PDA on your account you are also required to have a data package (email and internet browsing) on your line but your choices are different. You can view all the choices for data packages for the PDA below:

The following data packages are used for your PDA to perform data-related functions such as checking e-mail, surfing the Internet or transferring files. Please be aware if you choose option 1 or 2 listed below, applications such as Wireless Sync, Active Sync, Handango, MSN Messenger, and many other third-party applications incur kilobyte (KB) charges in accordance with the data plan you choose in addition to other charges imposed for the use of the application itself. You may choose from the following data plans:

1. Pay As You Go: There is no monthly fee associated with this plan; however, each KB used is billed at $0.015 (1.5 cents). This plan is recommended only for those who use data sparingly. This plan cannot be used on BlackBerry devices.

2. 10-megabyte (MB) feature: This feature is $24.99 per month and includes Wireless Sync. One MB is equal to 1,024 KBs. Each additional KB used over the monthly allowance will be billed a half cent.

3. Unlimited Data for E-mail feature: This feature is $44.99 per month and includes unlimited data transport for e-mail, as well as Wireless Sync. If you have moderate to heavy data usage, this feature would best serve your needs since there are no overage charges for KB usage.

Mr. ....., in regards to data for text and picture messaging you will need an additional plan for this function. On a PDA and
Blackberry phone you use data or email/internet and text/pic messaging. The two data functions are different and require different plans. With text messaging no matter what time of phone you have activated on your line, if your using text/pic messaging you will need a package or your line will incur individual text messaging charges of $0.20 cents per text and $0.25 cents per picture for sending and receiving. If you have the $10.00 package on your line, it will continue to include unlimited text/pic/video to Verizon wireless customers and 500 messages to other carriers in the U.S. If you are receiving text/picture that are being relayed via your email on your Blackberry or PDA phone the messages will be counted out of your text package from the 500 messages to other carriers.

Additionally, if you have our $5.00, $10.00, $15.00, or $20.00 individual text/pix package on your mobile phone you do have a limit of messages you can send and receive to other carriers. To avoid additional overages for text/pic you can choose to change to either our Nationwide Select plan or our Nationwide Premium plan, which both offers Unlimited text/pic/video to anyone in the United States sent or received. These two plans have different pricing depending on the other features on your phone you will want to use. To view our available calling plans, you may click on this direct link to our website, where you will be provided with detailed information such as allowance of minutes and applicable roaming and long-distance charges:

www.verizonwireless.com/plans
So seems like what they said at the verizon store is correct. f**k paying a few cents or what ever for txting and pics. Because smart phones and PDA's use data to send them. My goal is to get a phone with a keyboard and maybe as many features without changing my plan or paying more in the plan. The plan currently has unlimited txt. No data plan. If i do get a smart phone or a PDA phone i don't want to be forced into getting a data plan when at first i do not intend to use it. If in the future I decide i want internet or what ever on my phone THEN i will look into the data package..and f**k extra charges to send txt/pics lol..i already have a txt plan..I guess i just need a simple phone with a keyboard to satisfy my current needs?

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
With the XV6700 if you have unlimited text then it carries right over to the phone. ONLY when you start to send pix/flx messages do you get charged.

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
With the XV6700 if you have unlimited text then it carries right over to the phone. ONLY when you start to send pix/flx messages do you get charged.
I have dumb f**ks who send "funny" pictures to my phone all the time...so i dont wanna be charged for that lol. Right now i got a regular flip and my unlimited txt plan covers both txt and pic messages...so dont get charged.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
When the picture goes to your phone you DON"T get charged. You get charged only when you select to download it. So no matter if you get 500 pictures sent to your phone, you will only get charged the ones you open.

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When the picture goes to your phone you DON"T get charged. You get charged only when you select to download it. So no matter if you get 500 pictures sent to your phone, you will only get charged the ones you open.
I think its because a reg phone and a pda/smart phone use a different type of data transmition. The smart/pda ones use another one. Because with my current plan on my flip phone i can receive unlimited txt and pics...and as for pics it doesn't mater how many i open.

maybe its different type of data transmition from the cells..from the smart/pda ones they charge you for bandwidth