smart phone advice-verizon rant

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive got the LG enV and i like it. i only pay for the base plan $39.99 for 450 mins. i text like a mofo so i added the $10 text plan to get unlimited IN texting. i use it to check my gmail all the time since it runs off of mobile broadband, and stuff like movie times, restaurant locations, etc. there's no games on it as-is but you can download them. you can get BitPim software from ebay for like $10 that lets you download/upload ringtones pics and video to your PC.

i test-drove the u-740 for a couple weeks before i bought my enV and i didnt like it mainly because the buttons are friggin tiny. it made it very difficult to text. the enV's buttons are a little larger but more spaced out and layed out more like a true QWERTY keyboard

im actually about to upgrade to a smartphone (the xv6900) because i want the MSword and excel capabilities... so if youre interested i could sell you my enV with hardcase/belt clip, data cable, bitpim software, 1gb SD card, wall charger for like $100 :thumbs up

Last edited:

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive got the LG enV and i like it. i only pay for the base plan $39.99 for 450 mins. i text like a mofo so i added the $10 text plan to get unlimited IN texting. i use it to check my gmail all the time since it runs off of mobile broadband, and stuff like movie times, restaurant locations, etc. there's no games on it as-is but you can download them. you can get BitPim software from ebay for like $10 that lets you download/upload ringtones pics and video to your PC.

im actually about to upgrade to a smartphone (the xv6900) because i want the MSword and excel capabilities... so if youre interested i could sell you my enV with hardcase/belt clip, data cable, bitpim software, 1gb SD card, wall charger for like $100 :thumbs up
Mobile broadband so you have like some data package? Ye i have a basic plan too with a little bit more minutes and a unlimited txt plan like you.

as for buying your cell. Im thinking to buy one in like a month just recently I went to the verizon store and what they told me pretty much sounded like total BULLSHIT. So i decided to make this thread to verify and get help selecting a phone. Seems like the verizon people at the verizon store were right if you read the email that verizon sent me.

so if your gonna keep that phone for like a month or so we maybe able to talk.

BTW i never pay for software lol

well regardless dude im sure if your gonna upgrade to that phone if you didnt have a data plan to as you said get on broadband...then im sure you'd need it for that phone lol.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mobile broadband so you have like some data package? Ye i have a basic plan too with a little bit more minutes and a unlimited txt plan like you.

as for buying your cell. Im thinking to buy one in like a month just recently I went to the verizon store and what they told me pretty much sounded like total BULLSHIT. So i decided to make this thread to verify and get help selecting a phone. Seems like the verizon people at the verizon store were right if you read the email that verizon sent me.

so if your gonna keep that phone for like a month or so we maybe able to talk.

BTW i never pay for software lol

well regardless dude im sure if your gonna upgrade to that phone if you didnt have a data plan to as you said get on broadband...then im sure you'd need it for that phone lol.
sorry i didnt mean mobile broadband, whatever verizon calls it when you access the web using your minutes. i was just saying you dont need a smartphone to get on the web.

with the xv6900 i do have to upgrade my plan to include data, but i get a discount b/c i work for the government. and when i get that phone i am getting rid of my verizon mobile broadband modem on my PC so il actually be saving $$$ on my monthly bill... selling the enV is the catalyst for me to get the new phone and change my plan

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get the LG9400. I have it. Love it. Crystal clear screen, good pictures.

No data plan required.

All I do on it is text and send pictures, does that great.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can get bitpim for free from bitpim.. lol

Old Man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you are going through alot of trouble to just get a qwerty phone.
you're considering buying Discontinued equipment.. = no warranty.

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your answer is getting the SMT5800. It's actually made by HTC and has everything you're looking for. I just got mine a week or so ago and love it. www.smt5800.com

No dataplan required, full slide out keyboard, WM6, dial pad on the outside, no touch screen though.

EDIT: Oh best part is that it's $100 shipped from the VZW website.

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get the LG9400. I have it. Love it. Crystal clear screen, good pictures.

No data plan required.

All I do on it is text and send pictures, does that great.
Thats a really nice phone yet right now I have no care for a TV phone..Or the TV service for that matter. And im still thinking that i want something with a keyboard. But thats def a nice phone.
sorry i didnt mean mobile broadband, whatever verizon calls it when you access the web using your minutes. i was just saying you dont need a smartphone to get on the web.

with the xv6900 i do have to upgrade my plan to include data, but i get a discount b/c i work for the government. and when i get that phone i am getting rid of my verizon mobile broadband modem on my PC so il actually be saving $$$ on my monthly bill... selling the enV is the catalyst for me to get the new phone and change my plan
As i said im right now thinking wtf i want. And needed to find out if wtf the Verizon store wasn't just BS..and etc in like a month or so ima look to actually get the phone that I'd prob finally decide on getting with all yall help lol

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your answer is getting the SMT5800. It's actually made by HTC and has everything you're looking for. I just got mine a week or so ago and love it. www.smt5800.com

No dataplan required, full slide out keyboard, WM6, dial pad on the outside, no touch screen though.

EDIT: Oh best part is that it's $100 shipped from the VZW website.
hmmm..that phone looks f**ken BAD ass. I dont see that phone avail for upgrading phones off verizon..and off ebay its like 200 or more...

But if I go onto the verizon website and get a phone for a brand new plan 64.99. Obviously I don't want to get a new plan to get this phone.But cool

As you said no data plan. Ok but if you read the email i got from Verizon wireless it goes along with what I was told at the Verizon Wireless store. That for smartphones or PDA phones you can pay as you go or get a plan. Txting if you have unlimited is free. But pics or videos on smartphones or pda phones you pay for the bandwidth or what ever. And you can get a plan for this or pay as you go. If thats the case f**k that. I have a txt plan on my current cell and its for unlimited txt and pics...yet its not a smartphone or pda..

so just verify if thats true..becuase now thats going against what BS the verizon store told me and what the email told me..like on the page before this. So again im still trying to verify if that BS their telling me is true loll..

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I really don't know the answer but I would not be surprised if they charged you for data for the picture messaging. You MIGHT be able to get a plan that has unlimited text and picture messaging for the smartphone and get away with it.

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I really don't know the answer but I would not be surprised if they charged you for data for the picture messaging. You MIGHT be able to get a plan that has unlimited text and picture messaging for the smartphone and get away with it.
thats a data plan dude....

heres my options
"1. Pay As You Go: There is no monthly fee associated with this plan; however, each KB used is billed at $0.015 (1.5 cents). This plan is recommended only for those who use data sparingly. This plan cannot be used on BlackBerry devices.

2. 10-megabyte (MB) feature: This feature is $24.99 per month and includes Wireless Sync. One MB is equal to 1,024 KBs. Each additional KB used over the monthly allowance will be billed a half cent.

3. Unlimited Data for E-mail feature: This feature is $44.99 per month and includes unlimited data transport for e-mail, as well as Wireless Sync. If you have moderate to heavy data usage, this feature would best serve your needs since there are no overage charges for KB usage. "

pay as you go happened to be what the people at the Verizon Store were talking about. And its for pics. Because its for the data for downloading pics or videos..txting is covered by my txt plan. But seems my txt plan on a reg phone covers pics and txt...but for a smart phone or pda..only txt would be unlimited and pics or videos id either needed to get a data plan or pay as i use...

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats a data plan dude....

heres my options
"1. Pay As You Go: There is no monthly fee associated with this plan; however, each KB used is billed at $0.015 (1.5 cents). This plan is recommended only for those who use data sparingly. This plan cannot be used on BlackBerry devices.

2. 10-megabyte (MB) feature: This feature is $24.99 per month and includes Wireless Sync. One MB is equal to 1,024 KBs. Each additional KB used over the monthly allowance will be billed a half cent.

3. Unlimited Data for E-mail feature: This feature is $44.99 per month and includes unlimited data transport for e-mail, as well as Wireless Sync. If you have moderate to heavy data usage, this feature would best serve your needs since there are no overage charges for KB usage. "

pay as you go happened to be what the people at the Verizon Store were talking about. And its for pics. Because its for the data for downloading pics or videos..txting is covered by my txt plan. But seems my txt plan on a reg phone covers pics and txt...but for a smart phone or pda..only txt would be unlimited and pics or videos id either needed to get a data plan or pay as i use...
No not a data plan. I'm talking about the Select and Premium Individual and Family Share plans. Those have built in unlimited text options that also have unlimited picture messaging.

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No not a data plan. I'm talking about the Select and Premium Individual and Family Share plans. Those have built in unlimited text options that also have unlimited picture messaging.
hmmm...we have the Americas Choice II Family Share plan with 700 minutes. And unlimited txting activated for my cell only

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I looked into this. We currently have the america family share plan. We need to upgrade to the Nationwide select plan for the same amount of minutes we have for the america family share plan. Its like 1 dollar more then the share plan we have now. And get unlimited txts to any network on all phones. (not just mine as we have now. Plus i have unlimited IN txting and 500 to any other network), unlimited nights and weekends instead of unlimited weekends, Mobile web

s**t ill copy it
"*Unlimited Text, Picture, Video & Instant Messaging to anyone on any network in the U.S.
*Unlimited Anytime Minute plans include unlimited calling with anyone on any network in the U.S.
*Unlimited National IN Calling to any Verizon Wireless Customer and Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes.
*No Domestic Long Distance Charges
*Data sent or received (incl. Mobile Web advertising) is $1.99/MB. "

So i get web access to which i dont have now..and a better txt plan and other s**t ....for like 1 $ more then i get now in the current family share plan..lol

Then after upgrading i have the option to get the LG Voyager for 100$ which currently I do not have the option to Upgrade to the voyager. I found this out by looking at plans on the site. So its a better deal imo. Plus i may get more of a discount on the phone since they give discounts since my grandfather (who i pay for my service) and he pays the bill..Works for the government. So they give some kinda discount

so i think ill go that route..Upgrade phone plan,be able to get Voyager /end story

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mobile web is not free on the select plan..it is free on the premium plan..

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mobile web is not free on the select plan..it is free on the premium plan..
you pay as you go...

this plan has i guess better use of minutes..Current plan you get unlimited weekends i think

and current plan only my cell has unlimited IN txting and 500 txt outside verizon network...this plan comes with a unlimited txt plan to any network for any cell thats on the plan..Yet ima be the only one txting lol

just seems to be a better plan over all. And if we upgrade to that plan the price difference between the current plan and that plan is one whole dollar...WOOOOW

and after upgrading when i go online i would have a option to get the LG voyager

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you pay as you go...

this plan has i guess better use of minutes..Current plan you get unlimited weekends i think

and current plan only my cell has unlimited IN txting and 500 txt outside verizon network...this plan comes with a unlimited txt plan to any network for any cell thats on the plan..Yet ima be the only one txting lol

just seems to be a better plan over all. And if we upgrade to that plan the price difference between the current plan and that plan is one whole dollar...WOOOOW

and after upgrading when i go online i would have a option to get the LG voyager
i understand the plans ive worked indirectly for verizon for close to ten years... i manage three stores..

that phone is s**t...