Smogging a --- JDM B16A2 --- Need SEROUS HELP!

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Smogging a --- JDM B16A2 --- Update -- ECU help!

Ok its that freaking time again where tunners HATE THE MOST! SMOG!

Well, I have had a JDM B16A2 in my car for about 2 years now. My car was automatic before, I also did a transmission swap.

I did everything that I can do to keep these gases down low: HC, CO, CO2, O2 and NOx.
-Oil change : lowers HCs
-BRAND NEW MANAFLOW 3-way cat : lowers hc co co2
-Dumped in 3 gallons of DENATURED alcohol : makes your engine burns cleaner

After doing that.. 3 out of the 5 gases failed.
HC:roughly around 3000ppm
CO: a little high (forgot exact #s)
CO2: pass
O2: pass
Nox: High (also forgot exact #s)

OK, do you think putting my STOCK AUTO ECU will help with the HydroCarbons?

Also, illegally putting another cat on.. it should drop all emissons down..

Please HELP!!!!!! THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
JDM motors are generally a hit/miss. Is your motor swap BAR'd?...or you trying to pass it w/o them noticing?

HC's -- try driving for a good 30-60 minutes hard to warm the cat up. When you pull up to the station, keep the motor running until they call you in.

Nox --- is a pain in the ass. Because you have a JDM motor with higher compression, your nox is going to skyrocket. Try using seafoam to clean the engine up and higher octane gas. Best of luck there...

I dont think your car will run correctly with the automatic ecu. If you have an OBD1 swap, find somebody with a US spec Del Sol VTEC ECU to borrow... if a OBD2B spec, find a 99-00 Si ECU to borrow. That will definately run cleaner than the JDM ECU spec.

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
weksos said:
JDM motors are generally a hit/miss. Is your motor swap BAR'd?...or you trying to pass it w/o them noticing?

HC's -- try driving for a good 30-60 minutes hard to warm the cat up. When you pull up to the station, keep the motor running until they call you in.

Nox --- is a pain in the ass. Because you have a JDM motor with higher compression, your nox is going to skyrocket. Try using seafoam to clean the engine up and higher octane gas. Best of luck there...

I dont think your car will run correctly with the automatic ecu. If you have an OBD1 swap, find somebody with a US spec Del Sol VTEC ECU to borrow... if a OBD2B spec, find a 99-00 Si ECU to borrow. That will definately run cleaner than the JDM ECU spec.
Thanks for the info!!!
I also seafoamed my engine the night before.. i forgot to mention it above. Also my motor is not bar'd. My friends work at the shop, and one of the mechanics there do smog also, so he said it was cool if i bring in my car and he'll just over look my engine as long as my car passes..

for the ECU, the problem is that I dont no one that has either ECUs... right now im kinda stuck in a rut.

Also about the AUTOmatic ecu.. even thought it wont run correctly.. wont it help a little bit because of how the computer is programed to dump a certain amout of fuel in.. since my HC is way up there.. UGH, i hate smoggin..

Im bouta get my smog license too by next year.. :cry:

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HYPHYinMy4DR said:
Thanks for the info!!!
I also seafoamed my engine the night before.. i forgot to mention it above. Also my motor is not bar'd. My friends work at the shop, and one of the mechanics there do smog also, so he said it was cool if i bring in my car and he'll just over look my engine as long as my car passes..

for the ECU, the problem is that I dont no one that has either ECUs... right now im kinda stuck in a rut.

Also about the AUTOmatic ecu.. even thought it wont run correctly.. wont it help a little bit because of how the computer is programed to dump a certain amout of fuel in.. since my HC is way up there.. UGH, i hate smoggin..

Im bouta get my smog license too by next year.. :cry:
i have a SI ecu if you want to buy it? pm me.

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
^^^ I have a obd1 swap tho. All my plugs are obd1, also the ecu that came with the motor. But how much does ECU's go for?

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HYPHYinMy4DR said:
^^^ I have a obd1 swap tho. All my plugs are obd1, also the ecu that came with the motor. But how much does ECU's go for?
what ecu did your motor come with? P06?

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Ok, im back with some information.

The ECU thats installed on my car right now is a P28.

My stock one is P06.

So P28 came w/ JDM motor.

P06 = OEM on a 94 civic dx sedan.

so wsup?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm only going to say this once more... JDM engines do not have numbers after the last letter, a b16a2 is not a jdm engine.

Edit: oh yea, you can easily turn a auto ecu into a manual if you know what you're doing, or you can pay some one to do it.

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
HYPHYinMy4DR said:
Ok, im back with some information.

The ECU thats installed on my car right now is a P28.

My stock one is P06.

So P28 came w/ JDM motor.

P06 = OEM on a 94 civic dx sedan.

so wsup?

Even better, you can chip the P28 and use Hondata. The P28 is a Civic EX (D16 VTEC SOHC) ECU. Many people use this to run their custom programs. Most use Hondata with the P28 setup.

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Well, im still stuck in a rut.

Anybody in the bay area is kind enough to lend me a DEL SOL ECU? lol

I really have no more ideas as in making this engine pass smog.. if you guys can think of anything please post..

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Once again, back with some more info.

I found out my P28 has been chipped (Prevous owner) with a Skunk2 chip.

Common sense told me to open the P06 ecu and maybe try to swap chips and to only find out that there isnt even a chip nor chip plug.

Im thinking all I need is the stock chip back or maybe a P06 MT Virgin ECU right??? :shock:

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
HYPHYinMy4DR said:
Once again, back with some more info.

I found out my P28 has been chipped (Prevous owner) with a Skunk2 chip.

Common sense told me to open the P06 ecu and maybe try to swap chips and to only find out that there isnt even a chip nor chip plug.

Im thinking all I need is the stock chip back or maybe a P06 MT Virgin ECU right??? :shock:

I believe you'll throw a code with the P06. The engine will not engage VTEC and may put itself in limp mode when you reach crossover.

The SKUNK2 chip is what is causing your Nox and HC problems. The program is telling your setup to dump too much fuel as with most "set programs" out there. Best thing to do is reverse the Skunk2 program if possible and go back to stock if possible. Good luck!

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
The engine will not engage VTEC and may put itself in limp mode when you reach crossover.
Well, for smogging I dont really need my VTEC to engage.. but what is limp mode again?

Sm0ked0uTCiViC

Suck Ass Evil Pooper!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
naw it will run just fine with a p06, When my p30 went bad i drove around for a week with the original p06 and it was just fine, No vtec and a 6800 RPM redline sucked but none the less it worked! Now as far as passing smog i dunno! When i used to live in CA Ihad a special pipe with two cats made that i could bolt in on smog day and it passed with flying colors! Just gotta make sure the smog rep won't fail your visual inspection!