smoking header?

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i put my new dc 4-2-1 stainless one piece on with heat wrap on, and within 2 mins out of my drive way it started smoking and smelled like... well burning. maybe the heat wrap just wearing in? or dirt or etc in the tubing. does anyone know what this might be? please help

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most likely, it's the wrap wearing in.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so would it be a good idea to just let the car sit and wait till it stops smoking?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
--<EM1>-- said:
so would it be a good idea to just let the car sit and wait till it stops smoking?
You should have some install instructions on the wrap. I know with 1200 degree paint and whatnot, there's various methods of curing, not sure with header wrap.

RockintheEKoupe

Icantbelieveitjustbroke!
5+ Year Member
your fine

No worries man, Most aftermarket exhaust components (DC for sure) have an oil coating on them that will burn, smell funny and create smoke. On exhaust systems A'PEXi alerts the consumer that its normal for smoke to develop for the first 200 miles or week.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i drove it hard and slow for a while and the smoking has already settled. the instructions didn't say anything about curing at all... but i figured it would smoke alittle because of the wrap. thanks

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That ain't s**t, the first time I installed a header in my little 1.5 dpfi I painted it with engine paint :oops: Man, that s**t smoked like a mofo forever and I mean alot of smoke :lol: That's when I found out that there was a difference between engine paint and header paint :retard: I know, I know I'm a f**kin tard. Installing a header in a dpfi with a straight pipe and a cherry bomb :rolf:

:smileyR: