SOHC vtec question.....

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey, i have engine type d16y8.... and it obviously has vtec, but is their any way to maybe make it beefyer? like add something to it? seeming how the accord you can add a v2? or somthing like that to make it more aggressive?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
of course… what do you want to do

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
of course… what do you want to do
well, i want it to hitt harder, but its only single over head cam. and i know it wont hitt like a double over head cam.... but is their a way to make it more aggressive? and or hitt harder?

spad3dEK

5+ Year Member
Not really more aggressive but I'm sure if you get some basic mods exhaust, intake ect it would sound better and you'll feel it a little more.. I noticed the difference in mine... What motor you running??

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could put a z6 head on it and it would give you slightly higher compression?

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not really more aggressive but I'm sure if you get some basic mods exhaust, intake ect it would sound better and you'll feel it a little more.. I noticed the difference in mine... What motor you running??
d16y8 3r racing exhaust aem cold air intake, and a ls tranny. and would purchasing a vtec controller for $120 and tunning the vtec be worth it? considering it being a sohc?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He said he had a y8

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
You'd also most likely burn all your oil too. Lol A lot of Vtec engines burn oil in Vtec.

spad3dEK

5+ Year Member
I knew what head he had I dident know what other mods sorry... Then the z6 head or doing head work would be your best bet..
I have a z6 head deffently fun =)

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
DO NOT PUT A Z6 HEAD ON IT, IT WILL ONLY LOWER THE COMPRESSION

youre a noob which is fine, do bolt ons and maybe a chip from xenocron or phearable, then read and learn for about a year

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DO NOT PUT A Z6 HEAD ON IT, IT WILL ONLY LOWER THE COMPRESSION

youre a noob which is fine, do bolt ons and maybe a chip from xenocron or phearable, then read and learn for about a year
compression doesn't mean higher hp. in this case the Y8 head is actually designed more for saving gas that the Z6 head. its all in the runners and the combustion chamber shape. The Z6 will out flow the Y8 head.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
d series is hard to build up unless you dump alot of money into it, like a turbo build or something. also the d series vtec is alot more subtle than the dohc engines. like stated before, just do some bolt-ons, read and learn alot until you know how to build it right, no sense wasting money on mods that you don't really understand.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
compression doesn't mean higher hp. in this case the Y8 head is actually designed more for saving gas that the Z6 head. its all in the runners and the combustion chamber shape. The Z6 will out flow the Y8 head.
youre half right

http://www.d-series.org/forums/naturally-aspirated/135800-z6-vs-y8-cam-head-question.html

so according to that thread there is no real difference in power between the too. Some say the z6 flows better up top and the y8 has better midrange. Since d series dont rev like b series I would think you would want to stick with the y8 on a mostly stock situation since you arent revving a stock y8 or z6 to 8500rpm

so swapping heads just to have a TINY shift in the powerband seems like a waste of time/money to me and can be better spent elsewhere, like taco bell