Some help with choosing the proper intake manifold for my d14a3

Mrfessorbob

Hey fellows, im looking to buy this skunk2 pro series intake manifold for my 6th gen civic(ej9):https://www.maperformance.com/products/skunk2-pro-series-d-series-intake-manifold?variant=5299521795

And i was wondering what else i would need to buy, before swapping. I'm guessing that i need some sort of cold air intake, and a throttle body, but what about gaskets and such?

Before anyone tells me to go get a manifold from a z6 or y8, i live in denmark, and the availability of those engines simply isn't. Even in scrap/junkyards, my chances of finding one of those will be slim to none.

Thanks in advance, Marcus.

Last edited:

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
@Mrfessorbob It depends on what engine your car came with. Does it have a vertical throttle body facing up? or a horizontal one facing to the side?

Are you sure that the Skunk2 Manifold will work on a D14A3? I apologize for the questions. Also, if you are wanting to get a Y8 intake manifold, what about getting one shipped to you from the states? There are a ton of them here and you might find someone willing to ship one to you.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey fellows, im looking to buy this skunk2 pro series intake manifold for my 6th gen civic(ej9):https://www.maperformance.com/products/skunk2-pro-series-d-series-intake-manifold?variant=5299521795
Save your money!
Find someone on a forum, FB group or ebay that is local or willing to ship internationally.
Find a z6/y8 intake manifold, then follow these instructions...
http://www.dodo-upgrades.nl/imswapd14a34.htm

Upgrading to the pricier Skunk2 will yield you about the same results as swapping on the stock z6/y8.

Mrfessorbob

Save your money!
Find someone on a forum, FB group or ebay that is local or willing to ship internationally.
Find a z6/y8 intake manifold, then follow these instructions...
http://www.dodo-upgrades.nl/imswapd14a34.htm

Upgrading to the pricier Skunk2 will yield you about the same results as swapping on the stock z6/y8.
But is the skunk2 compatible With the d14a3 engine? Overall the cost of shipping a z6/y8 to Denmark would probably be the same as buying one here(i managed to find someone selling the skunk2 manifold and throttle body here even cheaper than the link i put on here), and I should mention that the d14a3 i have is With the throttle body pointing upwards. The Price of shipping from the states to Denmark would be increased With about 100$ because of some dumb EU toll.

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
@Mrfessorbob I would agree with Mr.Baker about the fact that the skunk2 manifold really won't get you a big horsepower gain over a y8 or z6 manifold. I understand what you're saying about the fact that shipping a y8 manifold might be as expensive as a skunk2. Perhaps you could save some cash, and then wait for one to pop up on your local craigslist.

I figure that you're doing the manifold conversion because you want to have a better looking/performing manifold compared to the odd stock unit. The reality is that there is a bit of work needed to convert the manifolds. The link that Mr.Baker added is spot on for what you need to do. My recommendation would be to save up a bit of money, look for some deals, and then do it all at once when you have all the parts together.

I personally wouldn't mind shipping an intake manifold to you if you can find a shipping method you prefer.

Mrfessorbob

@Mrfessorbob I would agree with Mr.Baker about the fact that the skunk2 manifold really won't get you a big horsepower gain over a y8 or z6 manifold. I understand what you're saying about the fact that shipping a y8 manifold might be as expensive as a skunk2. Perhaps you could save some cash, and then wait for one to pop up on your local craigslist.

I figure that you're doing the manifold conversion because you want to have a better looking/performing manifold compared to the odd stock unit. The reality is that there is a bit of work needed to convert the manifolds. The link that Mr.Baker added is spot on for what you need to do. My recommendation would be to save up a bit of money, look for some deals, and then do it all at once when you have all the parts together.

I personally wouldn't mind shipping an intake manifold to you if you can find a shipping method you prefer.
There's No chance of finding a z6 or y8 manifold in Denmark, the market for honda's here is non-existing, and i've already looked into Dodo's guide to im swapping, im currently working as an apprentice in a repair shop, so the dissasmbly and assembly shouldn't be a problem. And about that z6 or y8 manifold, what Price do they go for in the states? Preferably With throttle body ofc.

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
Here in the states, they are really common in the junk yards. Probably $25 if you get it without the injectors and fuel rail. Maybe $50 if you keep all the stuff attached (fuel rail, throttle body, sensors, etc).

Mrfessorbob

Damn that's cheap, i'll definetely look into this option. I'll be having the 50 dollar manifold With All the extras then.

I Will start looking into shipping methods this week.