some quick suspension question

SmArTs

i have a 93 civic sedan and i lowered it with kyb gr-2 with eibash springs and coilover sleeves...but in the front the the sleeves is making contact with the spring..

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The sleeves are making contact with the springs?? Can you elaborate on that please.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Yeah, sounds normal to me...

It'd help if you got pictures and explain what the problem is (if there really is any).

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Either your sleeve is too large, and let me guess, that's some ebay sleeve? or the diameter of the springs are too small for those sleeves.

I'd say lose the cheap sleeve before something bad happens and find out the diameter of the spring. Chances are that spring has a 2.25" diameter and we use 2.5" diameters.

SmArTs

Honestly idk what brand they are...I got them for free...I thought the same thing...I thought that the front ones where smaller than the back ones since oonly the font has a lot of action going on...well ima look it up and get some small sleeves...ima have to google it...lmao

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ebay special... I have seen sleeves compress and "widen" and cause issues like this.. don't cheap out, get some ground control sleeves and springs and call it a day.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OP, if I were you I'd try and find a used set of sleeves like Skunk2 or Ground Controls. You will also need new springs, which you can try and find used as well. Just make sure the diameter of the new springs is 2.5".

And also, the KYB GR-2's are OE replacement shocks. They aren't really meant to have a big drop or stiff springs. Keep that in mind when setting your ride height and when you look for replacement springs since they need to be pretty soft. Slapping Skunk2 sleeves/springs with those GR-2's would not be good..

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had Skunk2 sleeves with GR-2 shocks...felt pretty solid, a little soft, but no where near compares to my new GC/Koni set up...
The GR-2's are essentially OE shocks and valved so. They are designed to work with the stock springs which the rates are ~165lbs/in front and ~80lbs/in rear.

Skunk2's sleeve coilover spring rates are 446lbs/in front and 335lbs/in rear. That's 2.7 times stiffer in the front and 4.2 times stiffer in the rear than the stock springs.

OE shocks are definitely not designed to work with spring rates that high. Sure, you can use them, but the shocks aren't working properly. At that point they are waaay under dampened.

Ride comfort is subjective, you'll find just as many people saying the ride was fine as people saying the ride sucked. However the fact is this isn't a combination that works correctly together