someone please help me with downshifting.

ej8_st

Is there a rule of thumb or anything to know what rpm the gear you downshift to engages into that gear? Like say i'm going like 40 mph in 4th and i downshift to 2nd, how do I know what rpm to exactly rev up to so that the car doesn't jerk or over rev or anything like that?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why are you down shifting into 2nd from 4th? There is no set RPM and you are going to have to rev pretty high if you are skipping gears like that. There is no need to downshift that far. Take it one gear at a time.

Think about it like this...what rpm is the motor at if you take 2nd gear all the way to 40mph? If you can even get that fast in 2nd gear that would be the rpm you would need to match if down shifting into that gear at that speed.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only times I really down shift is when I'm passing someone, going up a steep hill, or slowing down to a slower speed limit or flow of traffic. Lets say you're cruising along at 55 mph in 5th gear, and you're coming up on some slower cars. You can down shift to 4th gear and your car will automatically slow itself down a little without using brakes. You can maintain 45ish in 4th comfortably in my car.

Pretty much, if the rpm's are too low and you need more power, downshift. If they're too high, shift up.

ej8_st

Why are you down shifting into 2nd from 4th? There is no set RPM and you are going to have to rev pretty high if you are skipping gears like that. There is no need to downshift that far. Take it one gear at a time.

Think about it like this...what rpm is the motor at if you take 2nd gear all the way to 40mph? If you can even get that fast in 2nd gear that would be the rpm you would need to match if down shifting into that gear at that speed.
well my car isnt stock. i have a 95 d15b vtec mated with y8 intake mani and exhaust header with a 12 lb flywheel and pretty much all bolt ons and tuned ecu. I can reach 80 in a really short 3rd gear pull.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you have a tuned ecu for your bolt-ons?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well my car isnt stock. i have a 95 d15b vtec mated with y8 intake mani and exhaust header with a 12 lb flywheel and pretty much all bolt ons and tuned ecu. I can reach 80 in a really short 3rd gear pull.
Lol. Yeah that's not saying much man, no offense.

Essentially, downshift one gear below what you're at. Nothing more. If you go from 4th to 2nd, you're likely going to cause more damage than good.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
none of that has to do with the gearing of the transmission....

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
Unless you're road racing, yuo shouldn't have to worry so much about downshifting, it should just be something you do based on how the engine sounds. And at 80mph I'm at like 4k rpm in 5th gear, junior :lol:

Essentially, downshift one gear below what you're at. Nothing more. If you go from 4th to 2nd, you're likely going to cause more damage than good.
none of that has to do with the gearing of the transmission....
x2 to both of these.

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
you should be in 3rd gear at 40mph.but well just say your at 40mph hit the brake and slow to close to 30 or 25 and downshift and itll do it smoothly so do that with every speed and gear youll get it.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

:lol:

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
Shiiiit my civic has some long ass gears.. I hit 70 mph in 2nd gear. Funny part is i'm not even kidding. Lol

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
A friend just bought a Civic with the wrong gearbox and he can do like 80+ in 2nd gear. I don't think the car has seen 4th gear since he's had it

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stock gearing for a d-series can see up to 80 in second.

Trekk

Registered VIP
IMO if your down shifts cause the rpms to spike past 4000 your down shifting to the wrong gear. Down shifts on the street should be engine braking, not slipping the clutch.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Depends on the tranny also I have dropped from 4th to second say if your cruising around 35mph chillen in low rpms at 4th their is plenty left in second

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
I must need a new exhaust with headers cuz i rev high at 4-5rpm's like im at redline or somthing.so 2nd goes to 40mph or 65 if i hold it out to 5 rpm but then it sounds like its close to redlining.maybe exhaust or manifold or somthing.its a y7 but hell it can pick up fast if you need it to.plus i gotta cracked exhaust mani maybe that plays a roll.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I must need a new exhaust with headers cuz i rev high at 4-5rpm's like im at redline or somthing.so 2nd goes to 40mph or 65 if i hold it out to 5 rpm but then it sounds like its close to redlining.maybe exhaust or manifold or somthing.its a y7 but hell it can pick up fast if you need it to.plus i gotta cracked exhaust mani maybe that plays a roll.

:shock:

What the f***? Are you serious?

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
A friend just bought a Civic with the wrong gearbox and he can do like 80+ in 2nd gear. I don't think the car has seen 4th gear since he's had it
Hahaha OG, Imagine driving your GSR daily all the time you have a decent ammount of power etc. Went from my boosted gsr to a d15b7 with long ass gears daily. I swear i'm either wide open throttle or 0 throttle. It's the only way to gain speed.. Lmfao.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP

wtf