Spark plug stuck in cylinder head

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDMSTYLE2000SI

Hey CC, got another problem for anyone that dare attempt to solve it...Ok so this past week I was doing a minor tune-up on my sister's 94 civic sedan. Everything was moving along fine until I tried to remove the cylinder one spark plug. It moved about 3/4-turn and seized up and now it won't turn either way (left or right). So now there is a slight gap between the plug and the combustion chamber and it's causing a hesitation during acceleration.

I'm assuming the cause of this seizure was an incorrect installation that damaged the threading, however, I'm sure that I can use brute strength and the added help of a leverage bar+breaker bar to remove the plug. My fear is that I will further damage the threading and be unable to install a new plug. So....my question is, if I remove the plug and then remove the entire cylinder head (to inspect for cracks and/or the damaged threading) would it be possible as well as safe to re-thread the damaged threading?

As always any and all input is greatly appreciated.

chromal

5+ Year Member
It's a bummer, had a similar problem in my d16y7's cyl1 when I went to change spark plugs last May-- it resisted being turned counterclockwise most of the way out, and when the plug emerged, it had half of the cylinder head's plug thread stuck to it. It may have been misthreaded when installed, or perhaps it had been over-torqued (spec is 13 ft-lb). Anti-seize compound might have helped too.

Anyway, I have been lucky, there was enough thread left to hold the plug in, so I'm still running on that head. If all (or most) of the spark plug thread had stripped, the only remaining recourse would be to try a helicoil. which may or may not help. After that, you're looking at a new cylinder head. Good luck. I'd say try blasting it with PB or liquid wrench before you take it out, maybe that will limit the hurt.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do what you can to get the plug out and then you can get the hole rethreaded. It will be fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wtf? This thread is 3 years old? I think he got the plug out already...

ej6society

It's a bummer, had a similar problem in my d16y7's cyl1 when I went to change spark plugs last May-- it resisted being turned counterclockwise most of the way out, and when the plug emerged, it had half of the cylinder head's plug thread stuck to it. It may have been misthreaded when installed, or perhaps it had been over-torqued..

The same thing happened to me yesterday, i was doing a tune up on my moms crv and that happened, i got the spark plug out but i wasnt as fortunate as you and the new spark plug would not stay in, stuck on what to do now...

Status
Not open for further replies.