Spark plugs

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I noticed on top of my cam gear cover there's a sticker listing my recommended spark plug (ngk ZFR5J-11)
My question is, would I benefit more from a "laster platinum" spark plug or any other high performance plug from NGK or will my car operate most efficiently with this plug?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your best bet is to stick to that plug... all the "up scale" plugs don't make that much of a difference. at least not one you'll be able to notice.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your best bet is to stick to that plug... all the "up scale" plugs don't make that much of a difference. at least not one you'll be able to notice.
Yeah I figured, just wondered what everyone's insight on this was. Appreciate it man

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The stock ignition is more than enough for our cars. You don't need any of those more expensive plugs. I've read the better plugs give a better spark thus cleaning the end better therefore lasting longer... But I honestly don't think it's worth it. Stock plugs lasted on my car over 140k miles.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The stock ignition is more than enough for our cars. You don't need any of those more expensive plugs. I've read the better plugs give a better spark thus cleaning the end better therefore lasting longer... But I honestly don't think it's worth it. Stock plugs lasted on my car over 140k miles.
:word:

The plugs may last a little longer but your not going to see any performance gains form it. And with these cars who cares about how long the plugs last? There's four of them, they're cheap, and takes two minutes to change them out. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
yeah i would stick with stock NGK plugs unless you want t spend 10 bucks a pop on the "nice" plugs but you wont see or feel any more HP. Now if you had a mitubishi Eclipse i would get the really long lasting nice plugs because those are under the intake manifold, my friend has one and their a total engineering fail.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i would stick with stock NGK plugs unless you want t spend 10 bucks a pop on the "nice" plugs but you wont see or feel any more HP. Now if you had a mitubishi Eclipse i would get the really long lasting nice plugs because those are under the intake manifold, my friend has one and their a total engineering fail.
Reminds me of my old blazer, had to use a swivel and an extension for one that was halfway blocked by the steering rod.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Reminds me of my old blazer, had to use a swivel and an extension for one that was halfway blocked by the steering rod.
could still be worse. like mentioned about the eclipse. I did the plugs on my buddies moms montero sport. had to remove the intake manifold to get to the damn things :roll:

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was doing the spark plugs on my granddad's 92 f150 with the 5.8 I had to crank the wheels all the way to one side and pretty much crawl into the wheel well and reach around like 3 different things to get the last spark plug lol. it was a b!tch

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Yeah I was like what the hell? Lol I have never seen anything like that it was a total pain and took a good 4 hours.