Speakers / Tweeters / Receiver

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hey guys, I'm considering upgrading the sound system in my car. I'm looking for three things

1. Clarity/Quality of sound.
2. Louder than stock.
3. Quality of parts (Resilience is necessary.. I don't want anything breaking because I cranked it up too loud).
4. Fitment - must be a direct replacement in my 03 Civic EX

I'm looking at speakers, tweeters, and maybe a new receiver / head unit. I'm not looking for top of the line, but I do want quality. Does anybody have any product recommendations.. or recommendations about a new system in general (ex. should I get all 3, or would I be better off just getting a really nice set of tweeters, or speakers, or a receiver instead?)

I'm a sound hardware noob, so any help is appreciated. I'm not currently in the market for subwoofers. Thanks!

reptlcal

Caillou
JL Audio products are very good. So are sony and pioneer products.

civicspencer

Registered VIP
KICKER! for subs speakers and am, and go alpine for your ubiy

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Kicker makes decent high speakers as well have them installed in my door and alpines in the back type s unfortuanly. However still sounds good.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
definitely need to get an aftermarket head unit,i would do alpine with decent speakers from pioneer kenwood alpine or even rockford fosgate as for the tweeters go i would keep them in there until youve heard your new speakers, they might give you all the clarity you want and maybe even give you the urge to get a sub =) just my 2 cents

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ I used to have 2 15" rockford fosgate subs in the civic... I just don't really need the bass right now. I just want clarity.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
head unit clarion,Apline,JVC Arsenal,
mids highs Focal,Diamond audio,JL Audio , German Maestro
subs JBL,JL Audio, Powerbass

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ok... so the model of speakers doesn't really matter.. as long as I get a good brand? So If I go and buy any alpine/kicker speaker, it's going to sound significantly better than stock?

and do I need an amp to drive aftermarket speakers? I didn't think I would.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the first link on both for front and rear is what i would do but if theres an option to hear them first at your best buy listen to them first and see what you think between the 4..

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Awesome. Thanks for your help!

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would get ALPINE because of the silk dome tweeter it gives a much warmer sound then metal and definitely don't miss match the speakers get all the same brand.

James315

ok gonna put my 2 cents in i personally dislike jl yes i have own jl let me rephrase that jl mids and highs i dislike subs are ok im probably gonna get flamed cause of that but oh well i just never had good luck always sounded bad and yes i know what im doing actually a certified audio installer but good price and quality i would go with polk audio i have polks in my civic with a kicker comp 10 with a kicker 300 watt amp and alpine head unit its not really loud but loud enough and the mids and highs are very very clear and i got the polks for 83 dollars for 6.5s so not a bad price either but pioneer kenwood and if your looking to spend a little more alpine type rs are all really good brands with great quality and if you want a cheap good quality head unit jvc all the way! lol even blown speakers sound decent with jvc didnt believe or like jvc til i heard one now i love it and usually have the most features for the least amount of money sony is good too if you keep it all sony