Speedometer not working!

Purp_Ej8

I am having a very frustrating problem. I swapped a d16y8 with a d16z6 in a 96 civic ex with a 97 manual transmission. The speedometer and tachometer used to work before I did the swap and now it doesn't. The guy I bought the transmission off of told me it was from a 97 but did not state what model and it did not come with a speed sensor so I bought one from advanced and it doesn't seem to work. Last night I checked wires that dealt with the speed sensor, replaced fuses, etc etc. This morning I noticed the tachometer started working again like it should but still no speedometer. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

RonJ

Banned
Why did you post in Street/Track forum? The 6th gen forum would be more appropriate.

What CEL codes are thrown?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moved to 6th gen forum :thumbs up

Purp_Ej8

Thanks xplod3r and I didn't know I did RonJ but thanks for informing me. And there is currently no cel's showing.

Purp_Ej8

It used to be on and I can't even remember what I did and it just went off and yes the odometer just started working randomly after cleaning some connectors.

RonJ

Banned
When you turn the key from OFF to ON(II), does the CEL turn on and then off after 2 seconds?

Are you saying the odometer currently works but the speedometer doesn't?

Purp_Ej8

Yes that's correct when I turn the key on the cel turns off after two seconds. And yeah I have no idea why the odometer just started working randomly. Even though the cluster used to work before I did the swap could it possibly have faulted during the time it sat? Thanks RonJ.

RonJ

Banned
I have another cluster that I swapped the speedo out of and it still doesn't seem to work.
If you swap the entire other cluster into your car, does that speedo work?

And based on the information you've provided, the problem IS the speedo.

Purp_Ej8

That I have not tried yet. I will try that tomorrow and post what I find out. Thanks for all your help.