Spring/shock swap needed

mikeg68

Hey guys, newbie here.
I just boought a 97 Civic Ex for my son. It is slammed and we really don't like how close to the ground it is. The previous owner put Tokiko blue shocks/springs along with a camber kit. We would like to raise the car somewhere between where it is now and stock height. I just don't know what springs/shocks that would be. It is currently 6" off the ground to bottom of side molding (frt & rr). Dont want to spend an arm & leg as this is his first car.
Thanks for the help/suggestions

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bottom of your side molding or side skirt? 6" off the ground from the bottom of your side skirt is pretty high and not slammed at all. That's pretty close to stock height. If you want stock height, then buy stock springs and shocks. I'm 4" off the ground and I'm not considered slammed.

6" from the bottom of your side molding is not possible.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Buy some lowering springs, they should raise you up to about a 2" drop. Wow that was a funny oxymoron haha

Try raising up the car and see if the springs sit on collars with perches on them that makes them adjustable, if so, lift them to your liking.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mmm yeah assuming the Tokico spring weren't cut by the previous owner, the ride height is definitely reasonable. I have the Tokico springs on stock shocks for my daily driver and it's pretty far from slammed. Nice ride height for a simple daily if you ask me.

If you want stock height, get stock springs. You best bet may be to try and find some at a junk yard or find someone selling theirs online. Should be pretty cheap... Other than that, Tein H-Techs would be your closest spring to stock both ride height and ride comfort. But, might as well buy some used stock springs for cheaper... And you really shouldn't worry about buying used springs too much, springs are springs. Used shocks are more sketchy to buy.

mikeg68

I went out and measured a little more accurately tonight. The car has a Type R front chin spoiler that measures 5" from ground. It has black side skirting down the sides that measure 5.5" from gound directly behind the front wheel opening. This may not be "slammed" as I referred to it, but it is way to low for my liking. I looked and it has Tokiko gas shocks but cant see the springs. Will have to somehow get it up on stands to see if they are adjustable. I guess my question would be.....That height seems really low....what would "stock" height be in those areas? Is there a spring that I can use with the current shocks to get me somewhere in between current height and stock height? If I change springs will it affect the normal range of the shock, enough that I should replace shocks too?

Thanks

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Heres my friends old set up. tokico with eibach pro kit springs. This is about an inch lower than stock.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I went out and measured a little more accurately tonight. The car has a Type R front chin spoiler that measures 5" from ground. It has black side skirting down the sides that measure 5.5" from gound directly behind the front wheel opening. This may not be "slammed" as I referred to it, but it is way to low for my liking. I looked and it has Tokiko gas shocks but cant see the springs. Will have to somehow get it up on stands to see if they are adjustable. I guess my question would be.....That height seems really low....what would "stock" height be in those areas? Is there a spring that I can use with the current shocks to get me somewhere in between current height and stock height? If I change springs will it affect the normal range of the shock, enough that I should replace shocks too?

Thanks
Pictures of your car would really help.

If your car is any higher than the picture DeathLens posted, you only have a couple of choices to raise it up more. You could get Tein H.Tech springs or the H&R OE Springs which are only just a tad bit lower than stock springs, it's really hardly any noticeable difference from stock height and ride quality is nearly the same as stock.

As for the shocks, they are OE replacement shocks. Meaning they will work perfectly fine even if you decide to put stock springs back on the car. Being that they are OE replacement shocks, they are not designed to handle being very low and/or having very stiff springs. Sounds like that isn't really an issue in your case though so don't worry about it.

mikeg68

I appreciate all your help and replies. I have tried several times to post a picture, but I guess because I am new it won't let me. I will do some more research to see if I can find the combo needed to raise the car some.
thanks again.