SRS and Check Engine Lights

atlcj0010

5+ Year Member
I have a 2003 Civic DX.. The check engine light is on and the SRS light is on.. The check engine light can be fixed rather simply.. I am curious as to how I can get the SRS light to go away.. I took the gauge out as I was going to try ad remove the bulb.. but there is no bulb for it.. I have been reading around and I have seen that it costs like 400+ to have the Honda dealer reset your light.. I would like to know if anyone knows of a way I can take the light out or even fix it.. I would rather fix it, but I am not into paying 400+ just to have them tell me whats wrong and not even fix it.. I believe it may be a sensor, but I am not positive.. How many sensors are there that would have to be replaced for the SRS light.. okay well go ahead and help me with whatever you can.. I will add more info as requested.. thank you very much..

atlcj0010

5+ Year Member
cool thanks.. i never actually took the seats out.. but when i bought the car there were bolts missing out of the passenger side seat.. i would think that since it was loose, maybe it triggered something.. is that possible.. i am going to give this a shot when i get home from work tonight and i will let you know how it turns out.. thanks again..

atlcj0010

5+ Year Member
atlcj0010 said:
cool thanks.. i never actually took the seats out.. but when i bought the car there were bolts missing out of the passenger side seat.. i would think that since it was loose, maybe it triggered something.. is that possible.. i am going to give this a shot when i get home from work tonight and i will let you know how it turns out.. thanks again..
well that didnt work.. Is there anything else anyone has been able to do? Is there a way to just take that bulb out of the cluster?.. well any info is greatly appreciated..

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
atlcj0010 said:
well that didnt work.. Is there anything else anyone has been able to do? Is there a way to just take that bulb out of the cluster?.. well any info is greatly appreciated..
Nope, 03-05 have led lite clusters, so if you even did find a way to take it out, there is no way its going back in. Plus if you're in an area where they scan for codes during inspection, they'll see the srs code and fail you.

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry to bring up an old topic but my light just came on a week ago and the link above is not working anymore. Can a place like Autozone check the code? If they do, do they do it through the ecu? Also, can someone post up a link on how to reset it since the link above is dead.

Bzart

5+ Year Member
Tool: A paper clip straightened out to look like a horseshoe

(1) Locate MES Plug. It should be located near the driver's side fuse panel under the dash. The harness is yellow with two wires.
(2) Unplug the MES Plug.
(3) Insert paperclip into MES Plug
(4) Follow this sequence of removing and turning the ignition to "on" (not accessory, not start)

-Insert paper clip while you turn the ignition to on. The SRS Light will illuminate for a few seconds then go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, remove paper clip. The SRS Light will come back on.
-insert paper clip. The SRS Light will go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, Remove paper clip. The SRS Light will blink twice.
-Turn the ignition off.
-Start engine as normal. The SRS Light should illuminate for a couple of seconds as normal and then go off.
(4a) This series of inserting/removing needs to take place within a 4 second window of the SRS Light going on/off each time.
(5) Sound easy enough? Should take 15 seconds or so for the whole procedure. Good luck.

Make sure that you get a good connection with the paper clip, you may have to try a few times. If are successful in reseting the SRS but the light comes back on within a few minutes you have a problem with the system and need professional help.