start problems need help

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys

i have had some problems with starting my car. i have replaced everything and checked everything that involves the starter.

here is the problem. long story short, the starter clicks or doesn't click at all but as the key sits in the on position for a few seconds or minutes the car starts fine.

i have replaced the starter and shimmed it, alternator, battery, clips and plugs(female and male are good on starter)had the starter tested multiple times right after putting the new one in, fuses checked, ignition switch, and from time to time the start issue comes back. its not consistent. like i said some times it will click but not engage and turn, and other times the starter wont click at all. whats been happening lately, is it will click once, ill try again and it typically starts on the 2nd try.

i dont think its anything i replaced but rather my relay under the dash. what do you guys think? any thoughts on something i have not looked over? can these relays go on and off like this and die from time to time?

thanks... looking forward to some help

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh ya, car grounded out like a mofo. 20 grounds under the hood volts are good from 12.1-12.4 all around. all electrics off during start up too except the radio and such that come on automatically. checked all wiring and no unwanted grounds either. all wiring is solid. could it be the alarm system? i have the stock karr system from honda...

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ignition Cylinder? What haven't you replaced?

Gunner

Registered VIP
You check your pressure regulator valve? The only thing throwing me off is the fact you said your starter doesn't always click..maybe a loose wire in the actuall ignition switch were your key goes in or the coil under the hood...

Manual or automatic? if manual does your year car have a clutch safety switch? i am not 100 percent sure but if it does that could be bad as well...

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
manual,
ok the clutch switch works, did multiple test on that, forgot to mention it. its wierd, the starter clicks once but wont engage, the second time clicking its engages.(sometimes i cant tell if the click comes from the starter or under the dash, cant pinpoint it) but from time to time the starter doesnt click at all, and sometimes not even the relay under the dash. its almost like there is a loose wire. the ignition switch was replaced too. brand new. not even a year on it.

all wires have correct voltage, no grounded areas...

i am starting to think its the stock karr system, where it controls the starter signal. maybe, maybe not. but one thing that started to happen is the doors do not automatically lock when the car is started, or unlock when i am getting in. the car alarm unlock but the actual door will not unlock and i have to use the key..;.. fishy

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since it's a Honda alarm I'd take it to them to check it out.

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DVOM, set to VDC. There should be 3 or 4 terminals. Red lead on the small wire terminal, black to battery ground. Crank engine, while checking the meter. Should have 12v. If you do not have 12v you have a problem in the starting circuit. If 12v then key cylinder to starter is good.

If all that is good proceed to my next wall of text.

Then red lead on battery positive, black lead to starter positive. (basically follow the wire from the bat+ to the starter)
Should be about 0v. If more than 1 volt, you have a problem in the wiring to the starter.

Then red lead to battery negative, black lead to starter case.
Should be about 0v. If more than 1 volt, you have a problem with ground from the block.

Red lead to start positive, black lead to starter case. Should read 12v key on, engine off

Proceed to crank the engine, reading should now be about 0v, if still 12v starter is bad.

I do suspect a ground issue for you. If what you're saying is what I'm thinking. Starter solenoid will make a click to make a connection to turn the starter motor. If you have an intermittent ground from the block to the chassis, then a click will all you will hear. Other than a short inside the starter(you said was new), I don't know what else to tell you.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
after checking all the possible problems,.... battery, ignition, fuses, starter, alarm, main relay, grounds etc.... it ended up being the harness under the dash by the fuse. one of my brown harness was loose and wasnt making a good conneciton. it was a male/female connection that the starter wires went into then into the main harness..... that sucks but works now.

just used pliers and tightened them up and shazam, i feel like an idiot for wasting all this money on fixing the problem... who would of thought it would be this,.