Starter issue

Chris7420

First time on this forum. Trying to help my friend figure out what’s wrong with his car, it’s a 1995 civic 5spd and when he turns the key to start the car it just makes a click noise, one singular click not a repetitive clicking, the battery/connection is good. If we jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver it starts right up just won’t start with the key. I thought starter relay but I looked it up and can’t find a part number for a starter relay for this car. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
See if you have 12volts at the starter solenoid, it could be a bad starter relay.

Check your clutch pedal switch.
Sometimes the rubber insert on the clutch pedal can fall out and cause a no-crank.

Chris7420

It does crank though just not with the key, if I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver while he holds the clutch with the key on it starts right up. And I looked on rock auto and Napa but I don’t see a starter relay for a 95 civic that was the first thing I was going to try

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would grab a few from some local junkyards or google "1995 Civic starter relay".
I don't think Rockauto or Napa stock those.