Starting issue

PhreakyPyro

Alright this is what I have.. driving down the road and in about a 10 second period this happened... started to act weird then stall (kinda sounded like a diesel idling) and died... lucky I managed to get to the side of the road safely... anyways now this standing issue.. I can put the key in start it up and it fires right up runs for about 2 full seconds then the car stalls (again sounds like a diesel idling) and dies... I am a self taught "parts swapper" I do not have much if any experience troubleshooting... I need a direction to start in I have seen alot of forums about the timing could be off 1 or 2 teeth.. I hear the fuel pump the main relay I don't think it is fuel I checked my spark plugs (visually) they were not worn lightly dark not much carbon build up.. where the coil packs slide in to the bottom side of the plug was so clean it shined... (to be honest the cleanest I have ever seen ever...) I have also seen where it may be a crank or a cam sensor but can I check that without replacement..? The timing chain cover gasket is only 20 bucks is it worth starting there and looking I need some direction I'm going to get a computer tomorrow to see if it has codes and if so which... any advise will help...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You havent listed what year or trim Civic you have, which is important. Also, please avoid "please help" titles and write something short and to the point about your issue or question.

Youssyy210

my dad had something similar on his mercedes e-class. al tho his would start, vibrate like a diesel motor but once you start moving it would be fine above 20kms or so. but then it got so bad that itt stalls if no gas was given to it at idle when started up, especially in the morning. we found it to be a cracked cylinder and it was only running on 5 cylinders. check your spark plugs, a buttload of gunk on 1 of them means the cylinder has a problem