Starting Problem .. Trust Me I Searched

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The other day I was pulling out and my car jumped and it stalled.. It wouldn't start when i tried to start it .. I can hear the fuel pump priming and it cranks but just doesnt start .. i replaced the dizzy already and nothing .. please let me know what it may be....

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ignition coil was my problem. It sounds like your problem was similar to mine. Check on that.

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Snapped the timing belt? that happened to me 4 weeks the ago. I never suspected to look at the belt because of that cover it has over it. I checked it for shits and giggles the next day and sure enough, the belt was snapped

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nah the belt is all good lol .. i have that cover off and yeah i was thinking about replacing the coil but see i put a different dizzy on and still having the same problem .. but now when you start it up and you know how when someone starts up a honda and you can tell its a honda... well that sound is really really fast now....... any other ideas?

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ I replaced the dizzy cap, plugs, and wires but that didn't work either. I still stay try going for the ignition coil. Mine sounded the exact same, tries to crank up but won't turn on.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah but i think i may have something wrong with my head, in my head or headgasket blown because of how fast it cranks up

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you hear the fuel pump priming, but check along the fuel lines, and fuel filter. make sure the fuel is getting to the car. also make sure your getting spark. take a spark plug wire out and touch it to something metal, see if it sparks. and elaborate on the cranking. you say its really fast, like how? is it rapidly clicking? if so then check your battery cables and starter.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah fuel is fine and its not clicking its rapidly cranking as if low compression in the cylinders

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah fuel is fine and its not clicking its rapidly cranking as if low compression in the cylinders
sounds like you dont have any compression...maybe you dropped a valve? do a compression check

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check your spark plugs, wires

99b18

VT3K..NSID
5+ Year Member
sounds like you jumped a tooth in timing. you said you can see your timing belt so obviously it didn't snap. check compression and a leak down test on all cylinders.

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like you jumped a tooth in timing. you said you can see your timing belt so obviously it didn't snap. check compression and a leak down test on all cylinders.
and check your ign coil fuse as well

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you dont have any compression...maybe you dropped a valve? do a compression check
:werd:

If the timing jumped, it wouldnt turn over. It would bind up on itself (I know, it happened to me once). If it turns over really fast and makes a whining noise, theres no compression.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did my compression test .. Dizzy - 90 - 150 - 120 - 60 - TB ... so i should check my timing .. like should i experiment .. move it one tooth in both directions .. you really think that could be it?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats your problem right there. Theres way less compression in # 1 and #4 cylinders. 160psi to 60psi means theres a problem somewhere. Hence your starting problem.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know this but could my timing belt jumping a tooth cause this?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The car will run with the timing off a tooth or two. Ive had mine running w/it a tooth off (it just didnt run very well). Do a new compression test. Then do another one, cept the 2nd time around, put about a soda bottle cap full of oil into the cylinders. If the compression bumps up, its the rings.