Stealthy's CRX Race Car Project

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
out of no where i stumbled upon a good deal on a 84 crx gutted and ready to race. its got a one piece front end, no core support, headlights or operable tailights; interior is stripped w/ plastic seat, door panels and dash. rear windows are plexiglass at the moment. im buying it without the current motor (d16a1 dohc teg motor w/individual carbs) and have plans of putting in a obd1 sohc turbo. im told (and would assume) this car weights pretty much nothing, and with a stock d16a1 and a 55 shot of nitrous it ran high 12s with some small slicks (but whatever=) )

obviously this is setup (or meant to one day be) for drag racing, which is something i enjoy. however, being in its current state (no core support, lights, etc), would it be possible to use this as a auto-x car instead? if so, what would need to be changed, or what would need to be done with minimal work bc i dont want to completely re-do the car. i dont know any auto-x rules or classes so maybe you guys can help me out. if its not much of a feasable option, i will just stick to drag racing.

currently its obd0, but being re-wired for obd1. this is the first "older" honda ive owned, so my knowledge on mpfi, cable tranny, etc stuff is very minimal. motor of choice will pry end up being a z6, so what would i need to get that in, running, and what transmission since a z6 trans is hydro.

heres a few crap pictures of what i will be working with. the guy will be on vacation tomorrow for a while, so that gives me some time to get my other 4dr gsr out of my garage and into the junkyard just in time for me to pick this bad boy up next friday. it will be going under some major TLC and a new CHEAP paint scheme. my goal is to make this an effective LOW BUDGET race car

stay tuned in as i will update this thread during my (likely slow) progress >`

oh, and for any of you that missed my few updates of my recently bought 4dr GSR....from stock, to this:

more info here
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=88316

DarkFox

5+ Year Member
nice pick-up. i don't know anything about the auto-x stuff but i seen clips of it and i'm interested in learning more about it. hopefully someone comes in and spills some info out to help the both of us. good luck with the project man.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ thanks, yeah i hope to get a little more info as well just to see my options (if any)

LC2ner

5+ Year Member
http://www.scca.org/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=0CC2A3-A050640&x=050|070&~=

Theres youre first line of information. Honestly though, you are going to be so high up in the modifications, that it might not be worth it. For instance, a 2005 Civic with the additon of a CF hood is classified with SVT Cobras. So I'm sure the lose of structure will push you high into the classifications.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why didn you get the motor.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks LC2ner but i still have no idea what class i could/would be in lol :shock:

green : idk, i still can if i want for like another $150. thats just not the motor i was planning on boosting, i was leaning more towards a z6 or maybe a a6, but i kinda wanted to stay sohc with this car....what do you think?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh, sorry i got love for DOHC d series lol. if it ran high 12s is great, with boost would better. mmm ITBs

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
oh, sorry i got love for DOHC d series lol. if it ran high 12s is great, with boost would better. mmm ITBs
well what do you think i should do though? d series isnt my thing, so im open to opinions/suggestions

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh, and what do you guys know about individual carbs? wtf lol

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would keep the d16a1, since its bolt in and other D seires arnt, build the motor, possibly ditch the ITBs and boost it. or super charge it

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
i would keep the d16a1, since its bolt in and other D seires arnt, build the motor, possibly ditch the ITBs and boost it. or super charge it
after talking to the guy, i think im just gonna get the motor too. its been rebuilt about 5k miles ago and the individual carbs are kinda cool, he thinks if they are jetted a little bit more and a shot of nitrous i will be in the low 12s for sure. while im playing with that, i can build and boost a sohc like my original intent >` deal?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
have to find a way to mount the other D series motors in that chassis

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol, i just relized, this belongs in other rides.. oh well ill move it tommrow

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i figured 4g section would be ok

anyways would i need dif mounts bc its older than 88? what mounts would i need to use?

and as far as auto x.... can someone help me out with my questions?! :oops:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice pic up man. hope to see the progress on this one.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seems as if the only aftermarket mounts (hasport etc) that are available for 84-87 crx's is for b series swaps....what if i want to do a d series swap (like a6 or z6) is there any stock combination or anything for a sohc swap in this car? :(

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If i were you i'd keep that d16a1 carb'd motor, that's pretty tight, and a hell of a rare motor to see in a honda.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im gonna keep that motor....for now...but idk for how long. i know its rare but if im gonna run a dohc i wanna run a gsr. but my original intent was to run a sohc and id still like to do that more than anything but idk what my options in that department are and what i need to do.

i know the motor is rare, and the individual carbs are sweet as hell, but its just not what i wanted to be working with

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the 1g crxs have mounts like the 1g integra(86-89) so your pretty limited to the swaps.

the motors not really rare, the carbs are more then the motor. just a D16a1 from a 86-89 integra.