Steering Rack Way Off 99 Civic

MistorOrange

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently had my power steering rack replaced, by a local mechanic, and I noticed I was hearing engine noise in the cab more, so I popped off the cover and as you can see the rubber isn't seated into the firewall, but upon further inspection, Look how far off the spline is, its also a small bit further into the engine bay vs inside the cab, than it should be, or atleast by the pictures i've seen... the only really informative video is Eric The Car Guy's, and he is doing an automatic, so I thought maybe its little different? but shouldn't be this far off.. any clue what could cause this? I don't see how it would be possible to bolt it up this far off.. I mean the bolts that mount this can only go into one place... any suggestions? I tried calling the mechanic but he is closed, hasn't returned my calls.. and im not really sure I want him touching it after seeing this.

any insight appreciated, thanks guys.

Attachments

MistorOrange

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wrong rack or bad install.

Return the car to the mechanic. Tell him fix the problem or refund your money.
i've emailed the place I ordered it from.. I just can't imagine how could install it that far off.. I plan on jacking the car up and having a look as soon as the weather clears this week.. maybe its defective rack. thanks

MistorOrange

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What did the mechanic charge for the rack installation and wheel alignment?
mechanic charged 100 to put rack on, kind of a family friend mechanic type deal, and i took it to a local alignment shop day later they charged 65