steering wheel is hard to turn!!

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay i dont know whats the problem with my sister car. she got into an accident. her left fender and front bumber was mess up. but that wasnt the issue, the issue was that after the car accident her steering wheel is very hard to turn. Its an automatic. my friend said that it could be the rack and pinon or power steering pump. could it be the axle? or what? please help! thanks!!

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your friend sounds right, my guess is the power steering punp was injured in the crash. best of luck to you.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if the steering rack was damaged it wouldn't just be hard to turn, it would be near imposible. My guess would be the flow of ps fluid is interrupted or the ps pump is f'd.

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the crash didnt hit the ps pump. well see..

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civic92si said:
the crash didnt hit the ps pump. well see..
the pump dosent need to be hit, its a pump... and any extra stress put on it could cause it to fail.

i say check the fluid level, if thats okay, then check the lines, if they are okay, then check the rack, then the pump... process of elimination.;)

fsteclipsegst

Twin Tech Owns Your s**t!
5+ Year Member
Check the power stearing pump, those f**kers go like nothing! it went out on my old DA Twice!!! and finaly decided to take it out.. if ur sister has the guns to drive wit no power steering, just remove it all...

Milano01

Old School CC.com'er
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had my rack replaced once and before i did that it made a clicking noise, not a hard resistance to turning the wheel. like everyelse said, check the fluid levels and the lines i'm betting you'll find the problems there.

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
replaced the ps pump still not working...its still hard to turn.. axle and underneath seems fine

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you bleed the air out of the lines? If not, have some one watch the fluid levels and the other turn the wheel back and forth until it stops foaming. If it still foams up then you proably got leak in in the lines and/or bad seals in the rack.

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Like they said, PS pump. Check if the belt is even still on there. Also check If there are any bent/kinked hoses.

JR-Style

Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you said it was in an accident, check the ps line cooler that runs along the front behind the bumper, you should be able to look through the bumper center holes and see it. check if thats kinked or any problems like that, not gonna be an axel, more likely gonna be a fluid issue.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fsteclipsegst said:
Check the power stearing pump, those f**kers go like nothing! it went out on my old DA Twice!!! and finaly decided to take it out.. if ur sister has the guns to drive wit no power steering, just remove it all...
if she did it is not simply that easy. the powersteering rack is meant to have fluid in it so u;d have to take the two lines that come off it and hook them up to a T joint with a resevior.