stereo problems

eg-asaurus

I bought a 95 civic dx not too long ago. It has the cx motor d15b8 and whomever did the swap just chopped off all "unecessary" wires (ac connector, washer bottle connector, airbag sensors and more) it had no radio in it when I bought it I got a radio hooked up the power wires and the ground wires and I have no power to the radio. The radio/cig ligher fuse is still good and the cig lighter works any ideas as to why I have no power?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It sounds like you bought a hack job project and you've got bigger problems than the radio not working.

sk8mike

Undefeated D16y8......WOW
what you want to do is run the ground straight to the batterry and the memory to the radio fuse. and connect everything else normal. if that works than your ground is not fully connected through the car.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what you want to do is run the ground straight to the batterry and the memory to the radio fuse. and connect everything else normal. if that works than your ground is not fully connected through the car.
No need to ground from the battery. You can just ground it to something metal that connects to the floor or chassis. Make sure you strip the place clear of paint if it has it.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd also start tracing and getting the other wires that should be hooked up, spliced back together.

cp2004

No need to ground from the battery. You can just ground it to something metal that connects to the floor or chassis. Make sure you strip the place clear of paint if it has it.
Thats what I did to mine when my ground wire was messed up but then attached it to the ground on my cigarette plugin and works out fine.:P

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If it doesn't work when you hook it up directly to a source of power/ground, check the fuse on the back of the radio itself.

cp2004

If it doesn't work when you hook it up directly to a source of power/ground, check the fuse on the back of the radio itself.
If this doesnt work and everything is working i.e. power find another place ground.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If this doesnt work and everything is working i.e. power find another place ground.
We get it, you think its the ground. Just because it was the problem in your particular case, it doesn't mean that it will be for everyone else out there.

The goal here is to provide various tests and possible solutions, not keep banging your head against the same wall and expect a different outcome.

eg-asaurus

Ok so I played around with it tonight and I hooked both the radio side power wires (12v ignition and 12v battery) to the 12v ignition on the car side and grounded the radio to the dash brace and it came on so I guess my 12v battery (always hot) wire is cut somewhere and the ground must be as well.

DoubleJ

check the backup fuse in the underhood fuse box, in fact just check all the fuse ports in the car.

eg-asaurus

this got fixed a while back but i figured id tell yall it was the underhood fuse thanks guys for all your help