Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cgpEJ6 said:
Bringing digital type to the computer alone is one of the single most impactful ideas in the last 100 years.
Care to explain?

Lets see the companies that Steve has helped lead. Apple, Next, Pixar, Disney. Leading these companies is enough to warrant some attention. Steve also has over 80 patents to his name on subjects like architecture, Graphic user interfaces, and products like the iMac, iPhone, and iPod. Steve lived the american dream. He is a college drop out that made a tech company from his garage into the worlds largest corporation.

extra info: http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_19049246
I've known several people that have worked at Pixar, all of them called it a sweat shop. Also what did he do with Pixar? He bought it. He was going to turn it into a hardware company, NOT an animation studio. The ONLY reason Pixar is now an animation studio and not a hardware company, is because Disney commissioned 3 short CGI films, which is where Toy Story is from.

Perhaps even more importantly, the folding of NeXT into Apple showed that Jobs was a clever businessman who knew how to sell a company that wasn’t very successful.
Smells like con-artist to me, even worked today. He sells products that shouldn't be a success, but he sells them to a point where they are. He's a good business and sales man, NOT a good technology man.

A recent patent filing, was instead of having a dialog asking if you want to continue to do something (Clicking yes or no) his is an animated icon you can touch :shock: SO INNOVATIVE! OH MAN! REVOLUTIONARY!

Let's see. Most of the patents with his name on them, are patents to how something looks. Man, he was such an inventor, such a revolutionary man for our time.

Wait, didn;t I read somewhere, where some Apple products look like Braun products. Oh yeah! I found it:
http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-braun-products-hold-the-secrets-to-apples-future

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The flaming and belittling stops here. This goes for people on both sides of the issue. Have a civil discussion without insults. Disagreeing is fine, but calling people names or otherwise insulting/flaming IS against the rules. Infractions will be handed out if this persists.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The need to spoon feed the Debbie Downer trolls in this thread is truly sad. Their bad dispositions act like indigestion to cause them to vomit up the truth so that they can continue to troll Steve Jobs. Yes, you guys are trolls in every sense of the definition.
It has NOTHING to do with spoon feeding information. As somebody stated before, there's a discrepancy between what you and I both define as "great Americans". I'm not trying to deny or negate anything he's done, I'm simply trying to point out the insignificance it has had on our society as a whole. He was successful, VERY successful....but that does not translate into being a "great American", in my opinion at least. So let me phrase my question a different way.

What has Steve Jobs done that has greatly improved the way we live our lives? Unless his technological advances have helped the medical industry, in a way that other technology companies could not, I really fail to see what positive impact he has had, other than inventing some cool stuff.
You can make corrections if you find any inaccuracies. Did you find any or is this just another nit pick comment?
That's the problem. Anybody with access to the internet can edit something on Wikipedia. That makes it a relatively unreliable source of information.

RonJ

Banned
I've known several people that have worked at Pixar, all of them called it a sweat shop.
Bla, bla, bla...this is just hearsay. Getting a job at Pixar is a dream for hot dog young animators.

Also what did he do with Pixar? He bought it. He was going to turn it into a hardware company, NOT an animation studio. The ONLY reason Pixar is now an animation studio and not a hardware company, is because Disney commissioned 3 short CGI films, which is where Toy Story is from.
From Lasseter and Catmull (the creative team at Pixar): Steve gave Pixar strategic guidance and direction. Pixar was actually trending toward computer technology before Steve bought Pixar. He quickly realized that a better direction was animation. Many important films created by Pixar were done with Disney. Early on, Disney was much bigger than Pixar and was basically the only company making animated films. Due to the high quality work put out by Pixar, under the direction of CEO Steve Jobs, it now equals Disney the animated film icon. That's due to the leadership of Steve Jobs.

He sells products that shouldn't be a success, but he sells them to a point where they are. He's a good business and sales man, NOT a good technology man.
Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple) was actually a GREAT businessman and technology man ---> Apple, macs, iPhone, iPad. Steve also revolutionized the music industry ---> iTunes music store and the iPod

RonJ

Banned
What has Steve Jobs done that has greatly improved the way we live our lives?
He reformatted the entire technological landscape. The millions of Apple customers and the fact that Apple is one of the largest companies in the U.S.A. speaks for itself.

Unless his technological advances have helped the medical industry, in a way that other technology companies could not, I really fail to see what positive impact he has had, other than inventing some cool stuff.
Medical advances are only one type of important advance. Steve changed the technological lives of people throughout the world.

That's the problem. Anybody with access to the internet can edit something on Wikipedia. That makes it a relatively unreliable source of information.
Again, stop speaking in generalizations. Where are the errors of fact at the link I posted? Either point them out or stop complaining.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Keep dreaming RonJ, whatever helps you sleep at night.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
He reformatted the entire technological landscape. The millions of Apple customers and the fact that Apple is one of the largest companies in the U.S.A. speaks for itself.

Medical advances are only one type of important advance. Steve changed the technological lives of people throughout the world.
Again...please point out one advancement that has improved the way we live our lives today. I'm sorry, but "there's an app for that" hasn't really improved the quality of our lives. He invented cool sh*t. He didn't invent something that actually IMPROVED our lives.

RonJ

Banned
Again...please point out one advancement that has improved the way we live our lives today.
You are seriously dense. I've listed them above and also given you a link with more details.

I'm sorry, but "there's an app for that" hasn't really improved the quality of our lives. He invented cool sh*t. He didn't invent something that actually IMPROVED our lives.
Stop spouting unsupported crap. What evidence do you have for this^? Or is this you just stating your personal opinion again?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, I will say that my research institute is using iPads and iPhones for military and medical related app creation... They're not using droids or galaxy, etc...

Tablets would not be where they are today without the introduction of the iPad
Smart phones would not be where they are today without the introduction of the iPhone
Music would not be where it is today without iTunes
Portable music players would not be where they are today without the iPod

Whether you use these products or not, they made the items before their names popular. Were there smartphone before the iPhone.. absolutely. Were they anywhere near as widespread as after the iPhone was introduced? No way in hell... only geeks and nerds had them (me), with a few businessmen having blackberries (if you can even count these). The iphone revolution brought about an onslaught of military and healthcare related research using these devices as portable information processing units. Here is one example where Apple has changed the world, and is continuing to change the world.

Never mind the competition it gave Microsoft throughout the years. Competition expedites growth. Computers would not be at the level they are today without Apple (and without Microsoft too.. I'm not denying Microsoft's impact in any way. Bill Gates has had just as large, if not an even larger impact on the world than Steve Jobs). Computers being at their current state aids just about any field you can put your finger on.

In short... Steve Jobs took things that weren't quite catching on, implemented some brilliant human factors work, put forth is mastery of marketing and speech, and advanced the technology to a level that it just wasn't getting to before he touched it and turned it to gold.

Am I saying Steve Jobs is a saint and fed millions of starving children in Africa? No. Did he fight a war.... No (well, not directly, but his work will soon be indirectly helping troops in the middle east). Do I use one of his products every single day of my life? Yea, pretty much. His work HAS impacted the world, and will likely continue to impact the world, long after his death.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I use nothing but macs at home(for work and play), and have never recommended anything other than macs for my clients building their recording rigs.

On a side note, why are you people still entertaining that guy's pointless babel? He has nothing better to do. Just leave him alone, please... so I can stop laughing at this thread.

RonJ

Banned
Here are some interesting recent LA Times articles about Steve Jobs.

Steve's interaction with the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC):

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/steve-jobs-xerox-parc.html

Steve's contributions to Disney and Pixar:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-jobs-disney-20111007,0,456416.story

...and to the music industry:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-jobs-music-20111007,0,653159.story

Friends and colleagues remember Steve Jobs:

http://www.latimes.com/business/jobs-react-gallery,0,6675630.photogallery

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
he was a re-inventor he took the technology and made it look more aesthetically pleasing and user friendly.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a feeling Apple is only going to get bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger. "Steve Jobs dead" was the most tweeted thing ever fallowed by "Beyonce is preggers" Last on the list was "Bin landen has been killed"

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
f**k me... I wish I was older in 1990 when their stock was $5/share. Their stock has been going crazy in the past 2 days. Going down now...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Steve Jobs while he lived was occasionally criticized for not being more charitable—like his compatriot and competitor Bill Gates or Warren Buffett. Hogwash. If you wanted to, you couldn’t account for all the societal good Steve Jobs has done.

Start with his company. Folks who believe economies are a fixed pie must implode as they consider how Steve Jobs (with pal “Woz”) started with an idea and an empty garage and built a firm worth $350 billion. That’s $350 billion in shareholder value that didn’t exist 35 years ago. Poof! Now, tally up his employees’ salaries and benefits. Every one of them, ever—at Apple, NeXT and Pixar. That’s a lot of wealth created out of effectively thin air. Then think about how his employees invested, spent and saved that money. And sure, gave to charities of their choosing.

Oh, but let’s not forget the game-changing wave of innovation Steve was responsible for. He was on the forefront of the PC revolution. You may never own an Apple product in your life or want to own their stock, but Microsoft literally would not be what it is today if not for a sometimes tempestuous rivalry between Steve and Bill Gates. Nor would any other computer firm, software firm, component firm, etc. That competition is what has led computers but also a huge range of personal electronics (not just Apple’s) to be faster, smaller, sometimes bigger (think computer monitors, TVs), exponentially more powerful and all around awesome-saucier.

You can’t possibly wrap your brain around how the world has been vastly improved by those two tinkering away in their separate garages. And the industries and individual firms (and therefore the shareholder value, the jobs, etc.) that simply could not exist today the way they do. My guess is those charities Jobs is criticized for not giving more heavily to can’t, today, create a balance sheet, solicit funds, dig a well or build a schoolhouse without using some product that was created by, inspired by or competed directly against Steve Jobs.

Pixar. If you don’t have kids or have a heart of stone, maybe you don’t appreciate the joy unleashed on the world by Woody, Jessie, Buzz, Sulley, Mike, Nemo, Wall-e, Doug the talking dog, Jack-Jack. I know I’m filled with joy (as are nearby diners) when my three-year-old spends a quiet 90 minutes watching a Pixar movie on my (heavily armored) iPhone in a fine dining establishment.

Oh, and Pixar’s (now Disney’s) shareholder value. And their employees. And their wealth multiplied as they spend, save, invest. And all the merchandising. And the stores that sell the merchandising. And their employees. And apps! A whole cottage industry just around apps! Didn’t exist before—and now exists for products beyond Apple. And those firms and their employees and and and.

While many today spend an inordinate amount of time pontificating their political views or charitable cause of choice, Jobs was mostly interested in creating products that enrich lives and, yes, creating his namesake—jobs. Would that other entrepreneurial-minded folks could be so charitable. Thanks, Steve.

This constitutes the views, opinions and commentary of the author as of October 2011 and should not be regarded as personal investment advice. No assurances are made the author will continue to hold these views, which may change at any time without notice. No assurances are made regarding the accuracy of any forecast made. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Investing in stock markets involves the risk of loss.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larahoffmans/2011/10/06/the-charity-of-steve-jobs/

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
f*** me... I wish I was older in 1990 when their stock was $5/share. Their stock has been going crazy in the past 2 days. Going down now...
I say the same thing to myself about starbucks and Ford when it was less than a dollar a few years ago

Decipher

Registered VIP
For everyone kissing the man's a*****e:

"Rude, dismissive, hostile, spiteful: Apple employees—the ones not bound by confidentiality agreements—have had a different story to tell over the years about Jobs and the bullying, manipulation and fear that followed him around Apple. Jobs contributed to global problems, too. Apple's success has been built literally on the backs of Chinese workers, many of them children and all of them enduring long shifts and the specter of brutal penalties for mistakes. And, for all his talk of enabling individual expression, Jobs imposed paranoid rules that centralized control of who could say what on his devices and in his company.

It's particularly important to take stock of Jobs' flaws right now. His successor, Tim Cook, has the opportunity to set a new course for the company, and to establish his own style of leadership. And, thanks to Apple's success, students of Jobs' approach to leadership have never been so numerous in Silicon Valley. He was worshipped and emulated plenty when he was alive; in death, Jobs will be even more of an icon.

After celebrating Jobs' achievements, we should talk freely about the dark side of Jobs and the company he co-founded. Here, then, is a catalog of lowlights:"

Read the rest of the story here: http://gawker.com/5847344/what-everyone-is-too-polite-to-say-about-steve-jobs

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Stop the personal attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.