Strange noise coming from gear selector.

llumley

5+ Year Member
So I recently purchased a Buddy Club Race spec short shifter, it is the double bend model. It was installed in my 99 Si. I know notice a strange noise coming from it when its in certain gears. Its like a rattle or vibration. I can feel it sometimes when im driving down the road if I just push the selector over to one side? Its like its hitting against something? Any ideas what this could be? Anyone ever had this problem? Exhaust? Heat shield?

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
back when i had a 4-1 header and a short shifter, it would touch the header and vibrate. its all back to stock now, so it doesnt do it.

ekcivicdx

5+ Year Member
thats the shifter hitting your exhuast...a short shifter is actually longer from the pivot point to the shiftlinkage than a stock shifter...which causes the shifter to hit ur exhuast

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats the shifter hitting your exhuast...a short shifter is actually longer from the pivot point to the shiftlinkage than a stock shifter...which causes the shifter to hit ur exhuast
:word:

d2w00t

5+ Year Member
yep that sounds about right, i had that problem but with my stock shifter, my heat shield fell off while i was drivin and it jammed into the road and spiked upwards under my shifter, my shifter was jammed and i had to manually push my car with my friend until the heat shield came out a little bit allowing me to drive back home. from then i continued to hear the metal tapping in certain gears, like a vibrating tapping much like urs!

llumley

5+ Year Member
Can this cause any problems down the road or should i just deal with it? I was hesitant to do this to my car just cause of the problems I had in my 93 civic with a short shift. Thats why my car has remained stock until just a couple weeks ago.

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's just hitting a heat shield. You can actually take that heat shield off and not really have much of anything to worry about. You can jack the car up, find the shield, and just remove it somehow. Tin snips would do it I'd think. Matter of fact, it's just part of the exhaust so if you replace some exhaust parts it should go away. That's what wound up solving my problem, which was the same rattling... my Evo2 exhaust didn't have a heat shield to get in the way. There are other heat shields over the cat that are necessary but this isn't one of them. Remove it somehow.