Street Racer in Cali Kills Royal Family Members

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
2 in Tongan Royal Family Killed in Calif.
2 Members of Tonga's Royal Family Killed in California Car Accident

By TERENCE CHEA

SAN FRANCISCO Jul 6, 2006 (AP)— Two members of Tonga's royal family were killed when a teenager racing her car crashed into their sport utility vehicle, authorities said Thursday.

The San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault would not release the names of the crash victims, but he said a 56-year-old man and a 46-year-old woman killed in the crash Wednesday night were members of the Tongan royal family.

"Out of respect for the Tongan culture and Tongan government, we are not going to release the names until the Tongan government has done the proper protocols of notification," Foucrault said.

The driver of the red Ford Explorer carrying the two also was killed, the California Highway Patrol said.

Edith Delgado, 18, of Redwood City, allegedly was racing her car at speeds up to 100 mph on a highway in Menlo Park, about 25 miles south of San Francisco, when she tried to pass the SUV the royal couple was traveling in, said highway patrol Officer Ricky Franklin.

Delgado's car slammed into the driver's side of the Explorer, causing it to swerve across several lanes before tumbling to a stop on its roof, Franklin said.

Delgado, who was not injured, was jailed on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and engaging in a speed contest, Franklin said.

Tonga a 170-island archipelago about halfway between Australia and Tahiti has a population of about 108,000 and an economy dependent on pumpkin and vanilla exports, fishing, foreign aid and remittances from Tongans abroad.

Now the last monarchy in the Pacific, Tonga has been a Polynesian kingdom and a protectorate of Britain, from which it acquired independence in 1970. It is ruled by 87-year-old King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure we're missing some details here too. It says she was racing and she'll be charged with "engaging in a speed contest", but it makes no mention of the other vehicle involved in the "race".

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like a load of s**t imo.

What makes them so sure she was racing with no mention of a second car.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Either way she was going way too fast around another car.

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hm.. not so much of a street racing if no other vehicle was involved. More of excessive speeding type of thing, but it qualifies as race. I think the reporter just used the word "race" as in high speed, but not really racing.. Either way, I hate people like her. She deserves to die, not the other two people.

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s**t I go 100 passing those f**king semis on the interstate...

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Either way she was going way too fast around another car.
That 100MPH is not uncommon on California Highways..

I guess you gotta live in Cali to understand..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pineapples said:
hm.. not so much of a street racing if no other vehicle was involved. More of excessive speeding type of thing, but it qualifies as race. I think the reporter just used the word "race" as in high speed, but not really racing.. Either way, I hate people like her. She deserves to die, not the other two people.
Sounds like she's being charged with engaging in a race too though.

Oh, and more I found.

"Edith Delgado, 18, was allegedly racing her white 1998 Ford Mustang at speeds up to 100 mph (161 kph) on a highway around 9 p.m. Wednesday (0400 GMT Thursday) when she tried to pass the SUV carrying the royal couple, said CHP Officer Ricky Franklin.

Delgado's car slammed into the driver's side of the Explorer, causing it to swerve across several lanes before tumbling to a stop on its roof, Franklin said.

Delgado, who was not injured, was jailed on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and engaging in a speed contest, Franklin said."

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Error404 said:
That 100MPH is not uncommon on California Highways..

I guess you gotta live in Cali to understand..
Not really. 100 is common on highways all over the US. I've seen it all over. It shouldn't be done near other vehicles though.

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there's times in cali you need to go 90+ to stay with the flow of traffic. scary but fun

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn that sucks! Ive noticed people are going faster now. if you dont go faster than 80mph around here on 295 then you will get passed like your standing still. its crazy! it never used to be like that.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
bizoneoeh said:
I'd walk that stang :twisted:
It's only the V6, of course you would! :lol:

SCCRules said:
damn that sucks! Ive noticed people are going faster now. if you dont go faster than 80mph around here on 295 then you will get passed like your standing still. its crazy! it never used to be like that.
I've been doing 85 and been passed by Semi's like I was doing 60.

steve98ex said:
there's times in cali you need to go 90+ to stay with the flow of traffic. scary but fun
Yea, no kidding.. I've done 110 and was going with the flow, I still had people passing me.

NOFX said:
Not really. 100 is common on highways all over the US. I've seen it all over. It shouldn't be done near other vehicles though.
I don't think you understand the meaning on COMMON in Cali lol.. Until you've been in LA traffic, traffic on the 15 going to vegas and coming from vegas and on the "Cajon Pass", you'll understand common.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Error404 said:
I don't think you understand the meaning on COMMON in Cali lol.. Until you've been in LA traffic, traffic on the 15 going to vegas and coming from vegas and on the "Cajon Pass", you'll understand common.
Common as in daily occurance? Common as in look out on that road and see tons of drivers driving that fast at any point that you happen to look toward that road?

Welcome to Delaware then.

Sorry, speeding like that isn't nearly as unique to California as you might think. ;) I used to drive 100+ home every day from work as did (and do) many many other people in Delaware and surrounding areas. Only I slow down when I come up to pass someone else. Just the safer thing to do. I'd rather them not see me and cut in front of me going 70 than 105.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Error404 said:
I've been doing 85 and been passed by Semi's like I was doing 60.
yourt silly man.. thats anywhere.. agree with amy.. in NJ people are pretty heavy footed...i typically go above a 100 on my way to work at some points, not maintained for hours or anything.. but at various points........

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
yourt silly man.. thats anywhere.. agree with amy.. in NJ people are pretty heavy footed...i typically go above a 100 on my way to work at some points, not maintained for hours or anything.. but at various points........
Have you ever been... hmm... I can't really remember the road it is (the name I mean) butit goes north through Philly. it's rigth along a river and goes under all these overpasses then goes under this huge bridge. Do you know what I might be talking about?

Anyway... go through there sometime. I don't know about othertime of the day... but rush hour.... Three lanes... No shoulders. Concrete barriers on either side. And you're going through this windly road with tiny thin lanes going 90+ in the thickest traffc capable of doing so (and it's scary as f**k).

Anyway, I don't know if you know what I'm talking about now... :lol: I used to go that route coming from Delaware up through to Lansdale.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Have you ever been... hmm... I can't really remember the road it is (the name I mean) butit goes north through Philly. it's rigth along a river and goes under all these overpasses then goes under this huge bridge. Do you know what I might be talking about?

Anyway... go through there sometime. I don't know about othertime of the day... but rush hour.... Three lanes... No shoulders. Concrete barriers on either side. And you're going through this windly road with tiny thin lanes going 90+ in the thickest traffc capable of doing so (and it's scary as f**k).

Anyway, I don't know if you know what I'm talking about now... :lol: I used to go that route coming from Delaware up through to Lansdale.
I95 ?

:oh:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
I don't think so.. but I could be wrong.

I used to come up through DE, into Camden, to Philly, and up to Lansdale. i think I might have too 76? It might have been 276.... I can't even remember anymore because that route was so uncommon for me to take besides every once in awhile.

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lates nites here in cali if ur between cars...everyone around u is going 90+. i know because i travel up and down cali all the dam time. sometimes its hard to keep up with the flow of traffic going that fast because i dont want to stress my motor going 100+mph. i dont know if something i heard is true or not but i heard that cali is changing the highway speed limits to 80mph...our interstates are already 70mph