Strut Bar Help Please

D-KoY

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When i went to buy my strut bar, the guy tried to sell me one for 10 bucks. I was very afraid it was junk so i did not buy it. I have been checking out OBX strut bars and the Neuspeed strut bar, but as far as all the companies, which is the better buy??? Which is the better strust bar? please help me out. Thanks

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
honestly, a strut bar is a strut bar. unless its made of wood or something, they all do the same job, which is stiffen the frame. a cheap $30 apc one does the same job as the $300+ designer label ones

Britty

CC's Grandma =p
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like handlebarsfsr said, they all pretty much do the trick. The name brand ones are obviously gonna cost you more tho and the designs usually look a lot nicer. If you're going for a lil more show, it's gonna hit the bank a lot more. :(

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As they've said above, they're all pretty much the same (function wise) so you can't really go wrong.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so why did we need 3 post of the same things you post wh0res :lol:

- it really depends on what you want out of your strut bar.

do you want something tacky and shinning for looks?
you want something that actually for performance wise?
how about the weight of the strut bar, are you concerned with that.

a lot of this comes into play when choosing the right one. a very good strut bar, if not the best, i seen is by carbring. (it is attached blow) it bolts at the shock towers and then back to the firewall. some other beefy bars are made by mugen and spoon... but those are rather expensive. you can honestly buy one off of ebay for 20 bucks as long as its a solid piece of metal (without any holes in it like DC sports bar) with metal endlinks and that should do the trick.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i forgot. this bar come in aluminum or steel. the aluminum weight next to nothing.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "imazn"

i forgot. this bar come in aluminum or steel. the aluminum weight next to nothing.
But the aluminum has a tendency to flex more than a steel one would.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually, it's the other way around. The Aluminum has less flex. It's metal properties are a little different than steel. Steel IS stronger but aluminum will hold its rigidity longer before it's breaking point. That's why some MTBers prefer aluminum bikes over chrome (besides the obvious fact that they're lighter).

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how much is that carbing setup

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "caddy"

Actually, it's the other way around. The Aluminum has less flex. It's metal properties are a little different than steel. Steel IS stronger but aluminum will hold its rigidity longer before it's breaking point. That's why some MTBers prefer aluminum bikes over chrome (besides the obvious fact that they're lighter).
Well, live and learn i guess.
Good info caddy :thumbs up:

ekhatchie

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id go with the neuspeed ones. and brand DOES matter...a spoon bar will be ALOT better than the cheap "type r" ones off ebay. i believe any strut bar thats a one piece design would be sufficent..mugen, skunk2 etc..

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "ekhatchie"

id go with the neuspeed ones. and brand DOES matter...a spoon bar will be ALOT better than the cheap "type r" ones off ebay. i believe any strut bar thats a one piece design would be sufficent..mugen, skunk2 etc..
how so? what do the expensive brands have that the cheapies dont? if its a rigid piece of metal that connects the two shock towers, then thats all it has to do.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think they're all made in the same factory and distributed to different companies

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
more than likely. its metal that goes across the engine bay...how technical and scientific could that possible get?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive seen diy'ers do it with a length of scrap 1" square steel tubing bolted to the strut towers. unless you can somehow prove me wrong, i still stand by what i said earlier

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ekhatchie: so how is a spoon bar "ALOT" better then something off ebay?

M706: over 200 bucks =P

caddy: great info on the aluminum vs. steel. i didnt know that =P

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do not buy the OBX for function. I have them and my front bar is slightly deformed at both ends from some quasi-autoX driving in the local high school parking lot. :D

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Strut bars are a good modification for the following people
1.)You have your vehicle lowered more than 1"
2.)You have sport springs or shocks
3.)have a tire profile of 45 or below
It is a good mod for those who have changed other suspension components that can effect the way the car handles.
Strut bars are not proven to provide any better lateral grip usually, but if your goal is to stiffen a frame that has has one of those 3 items done to cause more stress on it, then it may be worth your while. Stay away from bars with pivot points as pointed out above, they are virtually worthless, but cheap.

Bars to look at:
Neuspeed
Comptech Sport
Mugen
Sprint

Finally, adding those bars is a small piece in the puzzle, but, it is a piece.

Everything is working against keeping the tires glued to the ground. Strut braces if anything aid in keeping the tires planted or help them form being unglued in extreme cornering situations, or turbulent road conditions. Keeping the frame stiff, is the goal, a cheap way to do it is a strut bar, one w/o pivot points.

-www.hstuners.com