Strut/spring help, uneven ride

CivicEx'00

Hello all!

I bought my car, a 2000 ex coupe about 4 months ago, and ever since I can remember, the bottom of the lip scraped on the right side when taking hard left turns or driving over speed bumps/potholes whenever I have a passenger. When it's me alone it doesn't scrape at all, in fact I think it sits relatively flat! But as soon as someone gets in on the right it'll scrape on everything. Looking outside the car, there isn't too much difference in height.

1. Could this mean an aftermarket spring was used that can't handle more weight than the regular car?

Looking at the strut caps from under the hood, the driver side one looks newer, and the passenger looks farily rusted.

2. Could this be why it's happening? The passenger side strut is just older?

Another interesting thing is its not a rough ride, in fact it's very smooth over small bumps, just sits way low I think. This leads me more to springs than struts.

3. Are there any other suspension components that could cause this that I'm not thinking about?

(PS: Are there any cheap ways to do repairs myself? I have farily sufficient mechanical skills, and suspension is dumb simple, I just don't have a spring compressor :( I've heard of replacing the entire assembly, which I could do, but good brands are pricey jeez)

Thank you a lot to whoever can help me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Otto85

Its always a good idea to change out both struts which it sounds like wasnt done. The spring rating could be different between the brands but my guess would be that the old strut is dead and your relying on the spring itself. Do some research on the new spring if you havent already try to figure out what brand and model it is and get a replacement for the bad strut. Some auto oarts stores will rent a spring compressor so you can swap the spring over but if it where me id just buy the whole assembly so everything matches

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk