Stupid but worthy question

99CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
I bought my car in Canada. Its the Canada Si. If your US EX's have Vtec, then my Canada Si has Vtec. Here is a picture of my engine if that helps. Don't mind it being so dirty.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take a pic closer up next to that yellow vaccum line. I think I see a vtec soleniod, but its hard to tell from that pic.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

mr. black arrow says "welcome to your vtec solenoid"

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1337 | RCE said:
an SOHC 99' SI? correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the 99-00 Si ever came with anything but a DOHC (b16a2). if you bought it used from someone that upgraded before, then they might have just put an Si sticker on there when it is in fact an EX.....or worse. A picture would be worth a thousand words in this situation. :P
Her car is a Canadian Si. It's confusing because it doesn't say Canada in her profile.

Her car is equal to the US EX. EJ8, SOHC VTEC. So yes, you have VTEC. You have the same motor as my car does. It should say D16Y8 on motor. She did not get screwed on buying an Si without a DOHC motor because this car was meant to have a SOHC from the factory.

In your car you will not feel the VTEC kick in. It's just a slight sound.
99CivicGirl said:
Ok that's kind of what I though. I have the b16. In 2nd my Vtec ingadges at around 5500-6000 and I can hear something. I do have an intake on my car. Just wanted to clarify, thanks guys. GO VTEC!
No, your Candian Si should not have a B16A2.
99CivicGirl said:
I bought my car in Canada. Its the Canada Si. If your US EX's have Vtec, then my Canada Si has Vtec. Here is a picture of my engine if that helps. Don't mind it being so dirty.
This is a D16, not a B16.

Yes, that little "soda can" shaped thing underneath the yellow tubing is your VTEC solenoid. You have VTEC. You have a car with a D16Y8. In the US, the car you drive is called a Civic EX.

99CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
Thank you! =) I know I didnt get screwed on buying an Si. I just wasn't sure if it actually had Vtec. When I do hit 5500-6000 RPM in 2nd I do hear a louder sound than the normal engine sound.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
99CivicGirl said:
Thank you! =) I know I didnt get screwed on buying an Si. I just wasn't sure if it actually had Vtec. When I do hit 5500-6000 RPM in 2nd I do hear a louder sound than the normal engine sound.
No problem.

This is what a B16A2 in a US Si / Canadian SiR looks like btw (these are the same car, just with different names). The B16 is a DOHC motor and also has VTEC (as was stated before).