Stupid but worthy question

99CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
I have a 99 Civic Si. Some people claim I have Vtec...some claim that I don't. Some have driven with me while I've "hit vtec". A sexy man friend of mine drove my car tonight to see if I actually did have it. When it ingadges there is no kick or push forward (if you know what I mean). It's only a SOHC 4 banger car so can you actually feel Vtec kicking in? I need to set the record straight. Help me out here.

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
an SOHC 99' SI? correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the 99-00 Si ever came with anything but a DOHC (b16a2). if you bought it used from someone that upgraded before, then they might have just put an Si sticker on there when it is in fact an EX.....or worse. A picture would be worth a thousand words in this situation. :P

99CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
I believe that DOHC only came with the SIR's. I bought it as a lease vehicle, meaning it was leased from a dealership. What kind of picture do you need?
EDIT: I live in Canada. I have the Canada SI.

JSWhaler

5+ Year Member
in canada it is probably an d16 with SOHC Vtec which would be the equivalent to our ex model.

mother_BORED

5+ Year Member
JSWhaler said:
in canada it is probably an d16 with SOHC Vtec which would be the equivalent to our ex model.
i believe this is right.
i think ive read it before somewhere. Dont hold me to it though ;)

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
whether it is DOHC or SOHC, just check the top of the engine. I've got the US SI so I have the DOHC and the head should look like this;

not like: US EX

notice that the valve cover (top of the engine) is wider in the first shot which is DOHC

Now whether or not you have VTEC, you need to look for a small can looking thing about the size of a small 6 oz tomato can, that is the VTEC solednoid. If you missing this little thing, you don't have VTEC.

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
right the canadian SiR is a sohc vtec, so you have vtec (if your car is really an si, check your vin number, if some of the first numbers/letters say "EM1" then it was origanlly an Si" ) but is vtec's little brother/

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought in canada.. it is

canada SI = USDM EX (sohc vtec)
canada SIR = USDM SI (dohc vtec)

BOTH having vtec..

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
King Bob said:
right the canadian SiR is a sohc vtec, so you have vtec (if your car is really an si, check your vin number, if some of the first numbers/letters say "EM1" then it was origanlly an Si" ) but is vtec's little brother/
no no, the canadian Si is our Ex, the canadian SiR is our Si.

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
An Si in canada is a US ex..you will still have vtec....throw a intake on your car run your car to the redline and listen to vtec kick in at 5500 rpms

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There should be no thrust when you hit vtec anyways, but they are correct, you dont have the B16, as thats the SiR not Si in Canada. Try doing a pull in anything but 1st gear and you should be able to hear it once your oil is warmed up.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you got the sohc, you can barely tell when vtec hits. It sounds a little different, but it is still slow.

99CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
Ok that's kind of what I though. I have the b16. In 2nd my Vtec ingadges at around 5500-6000 and I can hear something. I do have an intake on my car. Just wanted to clarify, thanks guys. GO VTEC!

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so wait... you have the b16? So you have a usdm si?

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You sure you have the B16? If you have a CDN Si that is a Sohc VTEC D16

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is is a Canadian Car or did you get it from The States?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this thread has many echo's! this thread has many echo's! this thread has many echo's! this thread has many echo's!

ok I'm done.