Suggestions

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Alright so as many of you know there has been a good amount of spam as of lately. I also get tired of seeing noobs go straight to posting in for sale along with other post. I was wondering if it would be simple to set this site up like my local page where they have to post in the new user thread to be accepted to post anywhere else. If my memory serves me correctly I could still search for answers if I had a problem on the site. All mods could accept people. We usually have a mod on this site throughout the day. I don't see how it would be to much of an inconvenience for mods to do so.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i mentioned something bout this in the site suggestion thread. my thought was a more thorough registration at sign up. allowing ip bans. making the forum more advanced...something like how you put. like new users can only post in the generation threads and regional threads only till like a 6 month time expired or like how the vip works...after so many post

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think a 50 post limit before they can post in certain areas is great. Some of the other forums i am on are like that but they also count posts in off topic towards post count....

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
honda-tech has a 15 post limit

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i mentioned something bout this in the site suggestion thread. my thought was a more thorough registration at sign up. allowing ip bans. making the forum more advanced...something like how you put. like new users can only post in the generation threads and regional threads only till like a 6 month time expired or like how the vip works...after so many post
When a mod bans a spammer or marks a post as spam, the posting IP is banned. That is something that is already built into the site.. Not sure what all would have to be changed for a post limit to be set up for certain sections to be accessed.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Post limit does sound good even if only like 10 post. I just think it would help clear up the site some.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Post limit does sound good even if only like 10 post. I just think it would help clear up the site some.
There are so many new members that come post one idiotic thread and then never come back. I think a 10-50 post limit would keep stupid redundant threads from popping up.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that sounds alot better..... there should also be a noob section maybe. like a subsection in the new members that will have like simple diys links, what works and what doesnt work, part interchangability, turbocharging faqs....s**t like that. cuz alot of new members seem to be asking the same thing over and over and over. that way its all there right when they first post on the new members thread

emerican

Registered VIP
^ the noobs that you are refereeing to wouldnt read any of that stuff anyway they would do just what they do now
that being said im fine with some type of limit to post in certain sections; however that wouldnt really fix it, because they would just post the idiotic stuff if they where going to anyway in the sections they could post in

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In the end it isn't up to us. It's up to JayJay. He is the only one that can make changes like that to the structure of the site.

That being said, I don't think it is going to have the out come you are thinking. Like emerican said, they will post in the sections they are allowed to post in. Hell newbs post where ever they want now anyway. I am constantly moving threads that are posted in the wrong sections.

We tried putting a posting limit on a site that I have been moderating for over 10 years now and it killed our traffic. We still have spam and it comes and goes in waves. The spam bots ALWAYS find a way through. We have tried it all, the security questions, the random word box at the bottom, the waiting period, the post count to post in certain sections (this stops the spam in those sections, but they just post the spam in the sections they can post in), etc. Nothing has completely gotten rid of it and NOTHING has gotten rid of the stupid/constantly asked questions.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
In the end it isn't up to us. It's up to JayJay. He is the only one that can make changes like that to the structure of the site.

That being said, I don't think it is going to have the out come you are thinking. Like emerican said, they will post in the sections they are allowed to post in. Hell newbs post where ever they want now anyway. I am constantly moving threads that are posted in the wrong sections.

We tried putting a posting limit on a site that I have been moderating for over 10 years now and it killed our traffic. We still have spam and it comes and goes in waves. The spam bots ALWAYS find a way through. We have tried it all, the security questions, the random word box at the bottom, the waiting period, the post count to post in certain sections (this stops the spam in those sections, but they just post the spam in the sections they can post in), etc. Nothing has completely gotten rid of it and NOTHING has gotten rid of the stupid/constantly asked questions.
Agreed. People will always post in the wrong sections and if they don't have the post count needed for a certain section they will post wherever they can anyway. I think all of those methods mentioned were tried or at least thought of for the most recent SPAM attack we had going on and nothing really stopped it. Spammers are always finding ways around the system.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
We used to have a minimum post limit before members could post in the classifieds. If there are enough people that think a 10 post limit for the classifieds would be good we can start a poll. Honestly I think it will just add to post whoring and bumping other threads so they can get 10 quick posts for those sections.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i say 100 post or 3 months

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
We used to have a minimum post limit before members could post in the classifieds. If there are enough people that think a 10 post limit for the classifieds would be good we can start a poll. Honestly I think it will just add to post whoring and bumping other threads so they can get 10 quick posts for those sections.
I believe their will be some bumping however those people can be caught. If the person really wants to do something they will. I also think its just something that will bring a slight bit more hassle to some causing them to question actually doing it or not i say we have poll do 10 20 and 30 see which one gets most votes. My thought is if people actually start looking at other threads to bump they might also actually become decent members instead of just trying to sell something to get back on some other gay site coughhondatechcough

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
The only thing I have to say about it is the for sale posting with a 0 post count. That's a judgment call for the buyer. Doesn't bother me any if someone new here just wants to sell something and bounce. The buyer only has themselves to blame if they go sending money off to someone who can't be verified as legit.

Other than that... Spam has seem to all but go away lately.. Site seems pretty smooth if you ask me :thumbs up

gnos402

Im new to the site myself and keep seeing this as a matter of fact there was a for sale posting today. I posted in the guy says I have 98 civic dx anyone interested. I basically said with no pics or info besides make and model not gonna happen and I was searching in the new threads section highlighted red when I saw it. But yeah 1 post. Im a cheap ass thats why my car hasnt been posted however I finally won the camera I wanted off ebay should be here tomorrow or thursday then Ill post my ride. The day I signed up for the site I went to turn my camera on nothing bought a new battery nothing so dissappointed ahte spending cash on stuff I NEED sony cybershot w560 won for 50 plus free shipping

gnos402

Love this site although it is my first site I think Ive found a good one!! The site runs great btw. IMO

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've seen s**t come and go over the past 6 years here. Think it was shortly after I joined we felt with alot of new members that were just down right mean, rude and basically had no useful interest in this site....

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Agreed. People will always post in the wrong sections and if they don't have the post count needed for a certain section they will post wherever they can anyway. I think all of those methods mentioned were tried or at least thought of for the most recent SPAM attack we had going on and nothing really stopped it. Spammers are always finding ways around the system.
Is there any way to stop the stupid quoting the longest post ever that is directly above your reply post?

:rolf: