supercharging d16 info?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Ive never seen a crower or brian crower cam for a b series

bisimoto seems to be the top dog in d series cams

RCautoworks has very good products

best thing is to google/youtube d series builds and see what setups are best for your goals

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP

best thing is to google/youtube d series builds and see what setups are best for your goals
you've NEVER seen a BC cam for b series? where have you been?

http://www.briancrower.com/

top of the page. first links under "honda".....

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP

Thanks man, I've heard alot of good things about bisimoto. And thanks Nathan for informing me about the 404. Il have to look into the bisi and rc's now.

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
my bad I meant to say d series, thinking faster than I can type again
ok lol ya I dont think they produce D series cams but they'd probably grind a stock one or custom mill one. there are also places (need to find the site I had planned on using when I get my z6) that will custom grind your stock cam. its pretty cheap and while you wont necessarily see the same power you'd get from another cam, it is possible you could even make more power. Just depends on what power band you want, what tolerances/clearance you'll have, and everything else that goes into a motor. Once again, if youre having a cam custom ground, youre going to have to KNOW what you want, and have the KNOW HOW to figure out what you need.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
the only reason I dont bring cams up to a newbie is that its just another thing to mess up or break. Also the loss of daily driveability with bigger cams. Turbo cams not so much but larger n/a cams like the 404s, loss of mpg and rough idles etc. Some of that can be taken care of with good tuning, but for me I would rather add a few more psi than swap cams and still have the off boost driveability of OEM cams

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
I am coming from a mind set of b series since most of my experience is there so I keep thinking "of course you should get cams! and then you can have the ability to advance and retard them per desired power band and help build boost pressure" and then I remember that its a single cam so a stage 1 turbo cam would probably be best if going forced induction. or having your stock cam ground according to some specs given to the machine shop for what application, hp goal, psi, etc

if going N/A, I just dont see how he'd make any power on a stock cam. You're duping much more fuel and thus much more exhaust, the timing is going to be advanced like crazy, he's going to probably want a smother power band curve than stock so he'll feel the hp at lower rpms where he'd be driving it at as a DD.

OP, still, turbo is your best bet.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I am coming from a mind set of b series since most of my experience is there so I keep thinking "of course you should get cams! and then you can have the ability to advance and retard them per desired power band and help build boost pressure" and then I remember that its a single cam so a stage 1 turbo cam would probably be best if going forced induction. or having your stock cam ground according to some specs given to the machine shop for what application, hp goal, psi, etc

if going N/A, I just dont see how he'd make any power on a stock cam. You're duping much more fuel and thus much more exhaust, the timing is going to be advanced like crazy, he's going to probably want a smother power band curve than stock so he'll feel the hp at lower rpms where he'd be driving it at as a DD.

OP, still, turbo is your best bet.
If he was staying N/A where would this ever be an issue?

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
the stock cam isnt going to have enough lift or duration to compensate. He will most likely start to get detonation.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
you mean on a BUILT n/a setup?

Im sorry but I thought we were talking about forced induction. Either way you can add fuel and timing to lower combustion chamber temps and help reduce knock. If I understand correctly the larger and more aggresive N/A cams have much more overlap which bleeds out compression, which will lower the temp in the cylinder. So just by how they work yes they help in that sense. What the hell are we arguing about again?

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
you mean on a BUILT n/a setup?

Im sorry but I thought we were talking about forced induction. Either way you can add fuel and timing to lower combustion chamber temps and help reduce knock. If I understand correctly the larger and more aggresive N/A cams have much more overlap which bleeds out compression, which will lower the temp in the cylinder. So just by how they work yes they help in that sense. What the hell are we arguing about again?
well he had multiple threads about boost/NA so i was kinda of giving him some N/A advice in there as well, IDK if you saw his thread where he wanted 200 whp on a built n/a d series.

and i forget :lol:

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Lol great advice from both of you! Haha you guys are funny xP
Ive kinda opted out of n/a though. Im all over the place actually. Now im trying to see if i ahould nust buy an 08 or 09 si... Or if insurance wont be bad a wrx. Idk which way il go yet. I have a couple months to decide. Haha

HotHatchTony

I'd post a link to a pretty cool place to get a s/c and a fuel management system and a bunch of other related go fast bits but need 3 post first haha

garyware1299

prepare to spend in the realm of 2k for 160-170whp

no one makes a large displacement s/c for a d series or b series(or even k series for that matter), all large displacement aftermarket ones spin clockwise. Hondas spin counterclockwise so the few that were made for hondas are hard to come by and were small because of our small displacement. Its like slapping on a turbo smaller than a jdm coin purse
thnx