superhead's super-slow wagovan build

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good choice. first image seems great height. lower than stock, but seems still have some suspension travel, and won't be scraping up your underside if you run over a lane divider reflector

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, I remember someone posting that they're going to put a skid plate on their car, to protect the oilpan and header. Never thought I'd see someone do that for a street vehicle. When form is more important than function, you're doing it wrong.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, to each their own. Guess I shouldn't be critical of others, but it's sometimes hard to be objective when I see something that just makes me scratch my head. Kinda like the people who spend $15k to $25k modifying a car, only to trailer the damn thing everywhere and not actually drive it.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, to each their own. Guess I shouldn't be critical of others, but it's sometimes hard to be objective when I see something that just makes me scratch my head. Kinda like the people who spend $15k to $25k modifying a car, only to trailer the damn thing everywhere and not actually drive it.
Lol. Imma have way more in mine than that and it will see a trailer 99% of the time :cool:

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anybody know a good way to get blood out of a seat? Had a nosebleed this morning and dripped :mad:

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, car died on the way to work this morning. Thought it was out of gas, but two gallons later it's still not starting. Just chilling on the side of the interstate waiting for the tow truck. Good thing I haven't sold my old car yet.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that sucks. DId you actually run out of gas? And, is that engine fuel injected? If so, might have to disconnect the battery for a minute of so to reset the computer. Car keeps adjusting to the "lean" condition as you run out of gas, so parameters all jacked up. Just a suggestion, but I've had that happen to me before on another car

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Having problems with my wagon getting started after it's been warmed up. I just noticed the other day that my RPM's drop off when I start turning things on which I didn't see before because I don't often drive it and when I did, it was 24 hours of sun and heat. Now that there is snow and I wanted to use the 4x4, I see the alternator is about to $*it it's pants under the hood. I don't know what that has to do with being warm, so I also did the main relay solder trick and will check to see if the dizzy pushed the set screw out over the weekend when I have time.

Give us an update when you can. Subscribed from a wagon guy to another :thumbs up

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that sucks. DId you actually run out of gas? And, is that engine fuel injected? If so, might have to disconnect the battery for a minute of so to reset the computer. Car keeps adjusting to the "lean" condition as you run out of gas, so parameters all jacked up. Just a suggestion, but I've had that happen to me before on another car
I'm not sure. There was like a millimeter left between the needle and the empty line, so I thought maybe the gauge was just off. I had a 98 Accord that would start to run out when the needle started touching the line. It's a DPFI engine.

Having problems with my wagon getting started after it's been warmed up. I just noticed the other day that my RPM's drop off when I start turning things on which I didn't see before because I don't often drive it and when I did, it was 24 hours of sun and heat. Now that there is snow and I wanted to use the 4x4, I see the alternator is about to $*it it's pants under the hood. I don't know what that has to do with being warm, so I also did the main relay solder trick and will check to see if the dizzy pushed the set screw out over the weekend when I have time.

Give us an update when you can. Subscribed from a wagon guy to another :thumbs up
Thanks for the sub! I know a mechanic and he's going to take a look at it. Of course it started right up as soon as I got it in the driveway... FML. I'm still gonna drive my EK just to be safe. Man driving the EK makes me want coilovers for the wagon so bad. The EK is on lowering springs, and I can take corners so much more quickly. I kinda want to put an exhaust on it too so I can hear the engine better for shifting and rev matching and stuff. I really wish I could afford to keep both cars, but I just can't currently. Good thing I hadn't sold my EK yet though.

Overall, I think my plans for the wagon are:
1. Coilovers
2. Wheels
3. DOHC ZC swap
4. Boost?

Engine swap will have to wait until I'm graduated and have a steady job and get another DD.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haha well don't expect a quick build. I'm graduating in May and getting married in June, so I'm trying to save some money. I'll probably dedicate any money I get from selling the EK over what I bought the wagon for to coilovers and possibly wheels. After tax and everything the wagon was around $2800, and I'm gonna list the EK for like $3800. I'd like to get at least $3500 for it, which would leave me with $700. That'll at least get me coilovers.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol... I don't think I ever even considered those. If I wanted to do that I'd just paint my current steelies white and call it a day. I've also considered work equip 03s or one of their knockoffs. Image wheels has some cool ones I've considered. I found those thanks to TigBitties build thread. Coilovers should probably come first though. Nothing looks weirder than a 4x4 on nice wheels.
how the hell did you get image wheels from my post? i blocked out and didnt mention the companies name i believe. damnit. and i will give you heads up, looking at $2500 for a set from image

also those corvette wheels you posted are not sawblades, they are saladshooters.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how the hell did you get image wheels from my post? i blocked out and didnt mention the companies name i believe. damnit. and i will give you heads up, looking at $2500 for a set from image

also those corvette wheels you posted are not sawblades, they are saladshooters.
Look who's decided to grace my humble build thread. About image, you mentioned the company was in the UK, so I googled UK wheel company and I think they were the first hit. They're definitely not within my current budget lol.

Thanks for the wheel name heads up.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I think maybe my issue is the fuel filter. The guy I bought it from had bought a new one but hadn't put it in yet. I don't know how long the car was sitting before I bought it. I'm thinking maybe the fuel filter in the car was kinda gunked up, and when I got to the bottom of the fuel tank, maybe some more gunk got in there and clogged it enough to keep the fuel from flowing freely? Idk. I'm gonna put the new fuel filter in and see if it helps. Now I'm gonna be paranoid about letting the fuel get low.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Look who's decided to grace my humble build thread. About image, you mentioned the company was in the UK, so I googled UK wheel company and I think they were the first hit. They're definitely not within my current budget lol.

Thanks for the wheel name heads up.
lol damn. not a big deal. they are definitely something you have to be very commited if you want. custom made wheels are not cheap at all, and importing isnt cheap

and no problem, saladshooters can be had for very cheap but you need to buy adapters. They are something like 16x8.5. i forget all the specs