superhead's super-slow wagovan build

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's a little out of most people's price range, I think. I like a nice set of wheels myself, but just can't see spending that much for a set.
Hope the filter change does the trick. Maybe I'm paranoid, but when I buy a used car, the first thing I do is change the oil, airfilter, fuel filter, check the PCV valve, and spark plugs. No telling how long it's been since the prior owner changed any of those things, and better to be safe than sorry.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
He told me he had changed the spark plugs and some other things. I have a huge pile of receipts from all the maintenance he did on it that I need to look through. He kept pretty good track. Anyway, after debating for a bit, I went ahead and decided to drive it today. It's started right up every single time I've tried since I got it home, and it has like a quarter tank of gas now thanks to TDOT (getting my tax money back lol). Made it to work just fine. It was probably either the fuel filter, or it really did run out of gas and the DPFI engines just take a bit to start back up after running out, or a combination of the two. I'm gonna replace the fuel filter tomorrow. I really need to buy a metric wrench set. We have a ratchet set with metric attachments, but you can't undo a banjo bolt with that. As much as I miss the more planted feeling in the corners, I like driving the wagon much more. Besides, it's nothing some coilovers can't fix.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got the fuel filter changed. Took me like an hour just to get the stupid bolts off. Washed it afterwards. I can't decide if I like it better with or without the hood bra.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks better with it on...

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not sure. That was my next thought. I'm thinking it's something somewhere in the fuel delivery system, although I guess it could be dizzy or spark plugs too.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh i thought u had already narrowed it down to a fuel issue. Definitely change out the cap, rotor, wires and plugs and i also suggest the coil also if u havent already. U shouldve done that the first ten minutes u owned the car...

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Last guy said he had replaced at least wires and plugs. What's the best way to test plugs and dizzy?

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My dad would always take the spark plug wire out and put a screwdriver to the metal tip of it. Then he would have me crank my truck to see if there was spark. That's how he tested my mighty Max when it broke down.

Sent from my Galaxy S-Triple

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks. I'm gonna stop at O'Reilly's and grab a spark plug socket and check them out.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, looks like I found the problem. Pulled the far right plug and its covered in oil...

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, all the plugs had oil on them. The car doesn't smoke at all though so it doesn't seem to be burning oil... I went and bought a valve cover gasket kit and took off the VC and changed all the gaskets, including the spark plug tube ones. Put brand new NGK OEM replacement plugs in, and it still won't start. I don't see a spark from the wires. I'm gonna grab a cap and rotor in a bit and see if that takes care of it.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hopefully you solve this problem its taking up to much of your money and time.

Sent from my Galaxy S-Triple

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It was too dark last night to replace the rotor. I replaced the cap but still no start. What are the chances that the entire distributor is bad? I pulled out all the receipts the guy gave me, and it turns out like 80% of them are for a 93 red Civic 4-door... Anyway, I'm debating just replacing the whole dizzy. I haven't used the new rotor so it's still returnable. I just wanna get this thing running because my EK feels like a time bomb with the bad ISB.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I guy I work with talked to his friend who works on cars and he suggested I check the injector resistor box. I'm gonna take a look at it when I go home for lunch.