Suspension Help

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
Hey everybody,

I have recently fallen into about 300 dollars. and i'm thinkin about lowering my 03 lx sedan about 2". i found a skunk 2 racing coilover kit on weaponspeed.com for about 275. i'm confident that this is what i want to do next. but i have a few questions that unfrotunately neither my dad or skunk 2 could answer. and i wanted to ask a few people that actually have lowered their cars before.

#1 -- would it be safer to get a camber kit? i know you dont necessarily need camber adjustment for anything less than a 2.5" drop. but would it be good to go ahead and get it??

#2 -- Do i need to get new shocks for the drop that i want to do?

#3 -- with standard size tires for a civic. should i wait till i get rims and tires to install the springs? or would i be able to go ahead and install it. my biggest thing with that would be rubbing.

Here is the site that i found the springs on.
http://www.weaponspeed.com/2001-04-CIVIC-DX-LX-COILOVER-KIT-Free-Shipping-p-17649.html

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Stock Shocks will leak with a 2" in drop. If you just want to drop an inch you can go stechs and stay on stock shocks. Id go for rims and tires first. If you are going shocks/springs/camber that will be over a grand. Id get the hubcaps off first, especially since yours is a sedan. But many like to drop their car as the first modification.

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
yeah. i was lookin at shocks and springs and camber. it ran to about 1600. i really like those wheels in your sig. about how much did that cost?? and i think that i'll just buy everything and keep it. then when i have the money. get rims and tires. but that will be after christmas. are there any brands that you would suggest. because i never really looked into the suspension world. i'v always specialized in engine and drivetran.

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Motegi mr7's are the wheels. I ebayed them with tires for about $650 shipped, fairly cheap. I got toyo F4 proxyz with them aswell, nice, dependable, low profile tire. I havent dropped my car yet, im going to go with the stechs because i just want a small drop and plan to stay on stock shocks. I have heard skunk 2is pretty good stuff, these other guys im sure will make you some good suggestions.

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
skunk2 sleeves overs aren't too good. Ground controls are much much better. Yea if your going to drop on stock struts they will start leaking/blown.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm lowered about 2.5'' and I don't have a camber kit, the tire wear isn't all that bad but I like the negative camber :thumbup:

falcon

uber noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
friend got ebay $50 "coilover springs"... it is freakin slammed but i'm counted the days until his shocks die

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
camber kit for the rear is you main concern.. forget the front.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
camber kit is ALWAYS a good idea. replace your struts before you drop. i just replaced two blown frotn strust on my car....world of difference....
and uh mr7s....

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hahaha JDM. Motegi Mr7's man the infamous, if you played some of the need for speed games you may know them. You know you put them on your civics,celicas,rx7's. :D

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And one thing Gasket, do what you wanna do with your ride man. If you end of listening to some of these tools you will have a slammed car, on 15inch red rotas lol. Instead of Clean Silver Racing Mr7s hahahah +15 hp

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
buy konis yellows ill sell u my perfectly fine rears for cheap, pm me for more info

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
Thanks yall. i've decided that i'm going to da a comlpete suspension and handeling upgrade. front and rear struts. front and rear sways. shocks and springs. camber front and back....hopefully. rear lower control tie bar. all that. its going to take a while. but i'll get it. i mean. who says that with a little work an LX cant be low and fast. its going to take alot of cash but i'll get it. but yall. please. if there are any particular brands that yall have had any ammount of success with in anything that i have listed above please let me know. and like i told LiquidIce. i have always had my head buried under the hood gettin greasy. i've never gone into the suspension world. so i'm lost when it comes to this.

Anything is great...

Gasket

Rocket350

5+ Year Member
skunk2 sleeves overs aren't too good. Ground controls are much much better. Yea if your going to drop on stock struts they will start leaking/blown.
why do they start to leak? i just lowered my car the other day 2" but left stock shocks. :x how long do you think it will last for?

I really dont wanna have to take it apart again it took so long

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why do they start to leak? i just lowered my car the other day 2" but left stock shocks. :x how long do you think it will last for?

I really dont wanna have to take it apart again it took so long
Stock struts/shocks were not designed to handle drops. Thats why its just better to get aftermarket struts. My stocks only lasted about 20k miles.