suspension questions and recommendations

mlody

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have EX coupe 99 manual.

Just couple days ago I ordered new set of rims and tires 205/45/16

Now I have been thinking about lowering my car just a little bit – perhaps less than one inch. I found springs (H&R) on tireracks.com that would lower my car 0.75” which is perfect for what I have been looking. Because of that I have couple concerns.

My car has almost 70,000 miles on it, should I think about swapping shocks as well at this stage? Will my factory shocks work with those springs? Will I need a camber kit? How about sway and strut bar? Is it recommended to install them as well or I can lower my car without bothering with them?

Basically my goal is to safely lower my car without throwing lots of $, and to make sure that will run with the new setup for another couple years without problems.

One think I know for sure is that I would do alignment, but anything else is a black magic for me.

Can anyone advice ???

What would be the best setup for my car to lower it less than an inch when keeping a price in mind ?

How much should I be concern about different spring manufacturer ? Does a manufacturer really make that big of a change ?

I apologize for some of the childish questions, but when it comes to cars, I am kind of like a big child (which only know how to drive a sitck hehe)

thanks

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most definately not an expert on civics or civic suspensions, but from what i understand, swapping shocks would be a good idea. After 70,000 miles and with a stiffer spring they probably won't last much longer and you could be bouncing all over the place. I'm not sure on a camber kit, but with only a 3/4" drop i don't think you'd need them (remember i'm not sure on this, get a 2nd opinion).
A manufacturer can be a big difference. Go with a respected one and get something that will work for what you want. (H&R is a very well respected company =) )

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Welcome to ClubCivic. To answer your questions.

You could get the eibach pro-kit which drops you car 1.3" all around without the need of a camber kit. I had them on my car with stock shocks and they road fine, since they are built to. As for the strut and sway bars, you don't need them to lower your car. They just give you car less body-roll when cornering. If you want to get shocks, I would recommend agx's with the mild drop you want.

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If your going for springs..go to groupbuycenter.com (I recommend that site to every one) they have a deal on H&Rs right now for 135.00 and a set of AGX non-adjustables for 238.00 for all 4.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it really depends on your budget. since you say you don't want to spend a lot this is what i got to say:

the stage 1 springs have rather low spring rate. (hence they are called oe springs) your car isnt THAT old i think you should be fine with stock shocks since that's why they're called "oe." it will safe you money on shocks.

you should not need camber kit due to the face that you aren't lowered all that much which will safe you money. anything below 1.5 i would definitely recommend it.

strut bars are nice to have since they stiffen up the chasis. swaybars on the other hand i wouldnt. seeing that you only want to lower you car at a minimum just for looks, that shouldn't really be a priority on your list. if you have springs like the stage 3 or even the stage 2, then maybe you might loook into it depending on the feel of your car and how extreme you want to be. Swaybars arent always the safest thing to have. they are rather expensive too and you'll safe your money on that.

to top it off just get the h&r stage 1 springs. they are a great company, heck i jsut bought some springs from them too. you are looking at spending around 1-200 on just springs (rough estimate) and another 50-100 bucks on alignment.

mlody

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would like to thank you everyone who helped me make my mind. I guess I will go with H&R springs for sure. However, I am kind of debating on AGX shocks. For about $100 more I can have adjustable shocks. Any opinions? How easy is to make adjustment once shocks are installed ?

Thank You
Marcin

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
H&R makes a cup kit which comes with adjustable koni shocks, valved and set specifically for H&R's springs. If you buy the springs and shocks as a kit, it's cheaper.

mlody

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
caddy

I have seen it, but that is about $1000 plus it lower a car 2.0" which is not what I have been looking for

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seriously with your budget you wouldnt need shocks. i normally would tell people to get them but since you're only getting oe springs i highly doubt you would need to get new shocks. they have rather small spring rate.

if you really want to get the agx i wouldnt suggest getting the adjustability. it doesnt really look like you need it plus (don't take this offensely) you dont really seem to know what you getting yourself into if you do get the adjustable shocks.

so my advice: just run stock shocks, if not get the kyb non adjustables, they'll be just fine for the low spring rate.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
yeah, it sounds to me like all you need are some springs and an alignment afterwards. :thumbup:

mlody

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
imazn,

thanks for you matter of fact oppinion.
I realized that I would never bother to do any adjustments anyway as you pointed out.

I guess I will save up some money and get H&R OE springs and get hopefuly non-adjustable shocks.

What is an average life of a shock ?
The thing with shocks is that I do not want to change them later down the road (lets say after another 10k m) and I would like to do both in one shot!
How hard is to install it ? I have a friend who used to work at VW as a car technician and he is well versed in what he does (auto mechanics); however he does not have any pro tools like lifter etc.
How long it takes an average tech to swap springs and schocks in a regural garage ???

Thanks again

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
shocks are easy to install...but it makes it a hell of alot easier if you have an air gun to remove the bolts...the ones under the car are tight as hell.

Adjustability of the agxs are easy also...a screwdriver for the front and turn by hand for the rear.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
average lifespan of a shock can be rather long depending on road conditions. i know that your stock shocks can last forever pretty much if you continue to use the springs that comes with the car. well not forever but you know what i mean.

kyb agx non adjustables sound like the best buck for the bang. they're stiff enough to handle those springs comfortably. i just dont recommend them for springs with rather high spring rate because i have seen them blow out.

i say a couple hours they can probably swap the springs and shock? maybe more. maybe 2-4 hours

mlody

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks again for lots of good info
I will hang on a spring purchase for now. I have other expences at this point.

Thanks a lot